What Chorus¿¿

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EHX Poly Chorus - not the most practical, but by far the most interesting and the most fun you'll come across.

I use the one in my Gforce, but the stand alone old school t.c. electronics stereo chorus+ pedal was awesome. IMO it's better than the one in the Gforce, although i'll admit I don't tweak effects much.

Hi,

A few years back I went out in the search of a good chorus pedal and after trying everything I could get my hands on, I ended up wit an old Ibanez chorus and a 12V Danelectro Cool Cat chorus. The second souds a bit brighter and you can also use it for rotary speaker simulations by using the 'second' stereo out and plugging a dummy jack in the 'first' or mono out. They are both great sounding pedals.

However I would use them with 2 amps instead of one. Yes, its a pain to carry all that gear around, so if its not really necessary I dont use the chorus effect (or any effect for that matter) especially if you have to carry around two 2203 half stacks. You put a splitter between both amps and you leave the 'main' one dry. then you run your chorus delay etc (very wet) to the second one. With the right settings you can get some really crispy sounds in recordings if you use distant micing for both cabs at once.

Having said that, the BEST chorus ever made in the universe was the Roland Dimension D. A two unit ugly rack piece with 4 preset buttons that sound like nothing else. It also has good preamps that add to the original sound even when not chorused. Thats the third chorus I got hold of for my studio and its an amazing piece of gear.

Having said that, the BEST chorus ever made in the universe was the Roland Dimension D. A two unit ugly rack piece with 4 preset buttons that sound like nothing else. It also has good preamps that add to the original sound even when not chorused. Thats the third chorus I got hold of for my studio and its an amazing piece of gear.

John Jorgenson (and the rest of the Hellecasters, and a whole host of studio musos) uses a Dimension C on his 'board, and it is mighty pretty sounding!

I have an older Ibanez Tone-Lok Chorus/Flanger pedal, and it sounds pretty good IMO. As of late, I have been impressed with the MXR line of pedals, but I haven't tried the MXR Chorus yet...

I use the Digitech CF7 chorus factory. It's a rock solid good sounding box with no noticeable tone suck.

Scott

i used the voodoo lab analog chorus when I had one, sounded great in the FX loop..a true replica of the legendary boss CE-1..chorus just ain't my thing except for a little subtle use of it on an echo like my DMM or CC.

I use my Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress for clean tones. It creates a very warm, swirly ethereal chorus. Really nice.'

It's nice and full too when used with high gain, but does sound a bit over the top. Good for tiny little passages or the occasional Pink Floyd tune.

I also have a Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo. It's a really nice lush chorus & I like the echo-delay too. Great for ambient stuff.

I want to use it on heavy crunch tones but I need some kind of blend/mix control so the chorus isn't too dominant in the sound. The problem is that the Delay Time control affects the tone of the dry signal, so even if you used the pedal for stereo to two amps, the MarkIV's dry signal would still be affected- some of the thunk gets diminished. Plus it gets noisy when used with a lot of gain.

But I do rate both way over many other chorus units. I prefer both in front of the amp.

zebpedersen said:

John Jorgenson (and the rest of the Hellecasters, and a whole host of studio musos) uses a Dimension C on his 'board, and it is mighty pretty sounding!

Is that similar to the chorus effect built into the Roland Jazz Chorus amp? I had the 77 for a few years and it was awesome.

Heritage Softail said:
Is that similar to the chorus effect built into the Roland Jazz Chorus amp? I had the 77 for a few years and it was awesome.

IIRC, Dimension C was not released until the mid-80's.

The built-in chorus effect on Roland Jazz Chorus amps is probably similar to the CE-1 Chorus Ensemble, or even the Boss CE-2 Chorus pedal.

The Dimension effects had delay built in as well. The Jazz Chorus, as stated above, is different.

[IMO there's nothing that compares with the JC for chorus - nice little rig A/B'd with my Mark II. Solid state power ain't nuffin though man! That thing on full tilt is like the IIB on 2! Anyway, another thing for another time.]

Heritage Softail said:
zebpedersen said:

I think the Jazz Chorus is based on the old Boss pedal chorus circuitry which is very similar to the old Ibanez chorus I've got. The Dimension D is a different beast. I think Boss also released a pedal called dimension C based on the dimension D. I have never tried it so I cannot really say much about it. From what I have read in different user reviews the C doesn't sound as good as the D.

Personally I have used the D on everything: Guitars, vocals, drums synths and even accordions with amazing results. But it is more of an studio unit.

My personal choice for guitars (pedal format) would be an old Boss, an old Ibanez or the 12V Danelectro Cool Cat chorus (and two amps).

petejt said:
I use my Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress for clean tones. It creates a very warm, swirly ethereal chorus. Really nice.'

It's nice and full too when used with high gain, but does sound a bit over the top. Good for tiny little passages or the occasional Pink Floyd tune.

I also have a Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo. It's a really nice lush chorus & I like the echo-delay too. Great for ambient stuff.

I want to use it on heavy crunch tones but I need some kind of blend/mix control so the chorus isn't too dominant in the sound. The problem is that the Delay Time control affects the tone of the dry signal, so even if you used the pedal for stereo to two amps, the MarkIV's dry signal would still be affected- some of the thunk gets diminished. Plus it gets noisy when used with a lot of gain.

But I do rate both way over many other chorus units. I prefer both in front of the amp.

I think you need two amps to get that sound. The dry one and the wet one

Back