What can a Mark IV do?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveda

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question. Can a mark IV widebody combo do both metal (chug chug) as well as classic rock? Nobody has one near me to play? Any help would be appreciated. I am thinking of trading my dual rec head for a widebody combo. I play anything from 80's metal, to the newer metal to classic rock. How does the clean channel compare? Thanks again for your help.

Steve.

I just traded my DR for a MarkIV and I couldn't be happier. The clean is unreal.. it's just a joy to play with it... walks CIRCLES around the rectifier series (aside from RK and Roadster)

It can do brutal metal better than the DR in my opinion plus you can actually get a great lead out of it unlike the DR.

R2 can get you everything from clean breakup up to classic rock and the Lead channel will do everything from harder rock up to chug/chug metal. It's a very different flavor than the DR though... I wouldn't buy one without playing it first, just my two cents.

The MarkIV is by FAR the most versatile Boogie I've played.

It can do about anything, and takes pedals well.

I only sold mine cuz I needed the money, and I wasn't using it.

Wish I still had it though...

The shorter list is " What can't the Mark IV do?"

The high gain sounds are very different from the Recto series. It has a lot of the traditional Mark series vintage type tones also, and a pristine clean that can be dialed to somewhat dirty. I think the Rectos are just as good, but different. I like the think midrangy lead sound you can get from the Recto, it one of the best lead sounds ever made. The Mark IV lead is no less classic and tasty, but a different flavor.

You really need to try them for yourself and see if its the flavor you like. Take your time with a Mark IV and use one of your own guitars. Read a manual before you test drive so you know how the gain structure works.

I think the only question unanswered here is about the clean. The clean channel R1 is very nice, a definite step up from any Dual Rectifier. Again R2 is an extension of it that will take you into the Lead channel.

Binner said:

The high gain sounds are very different from the Recto series. It has a lot of the traditional Mark series vintage type tones also, and a pristine clean that can be dialed to somewhat dirty. I think the Rectos are just as good, but different. I like the think midrangy lead sound you can get from the Recto, it one of the best lead sounds ever made. The Mark IV lead is no less classic and tasty, but a different flavor.

You really need to try them for yourself and see if its the flavor you like. Take your time with a Mark IV and use one of your own guitars. Read a manual before you test drive so you know how the gain structure works.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

CudBucket said:
lookslikemeband said:
The MarkIV is by FAR the most versatile Boogie I've played.

Uh, until they made the Road King II.

Well this is of course both of your opinions but looking at it from a different perspective:

The Mark IV has been around since what 91? and has had 1 change. If something that old can still be used to this day without requiring mods to get it to 'fit in' or do the latest tone then I think that speaks loads more than Mesa's latest and greatest offering in an amp line that has seen nothing but changes.

How many versions of Dual rectos are there? Probably too many to count and there will always be tweaks making whatever is hip or cool now old and crappy later.

Chasing the Recto series is like chasing computer technology- if you always are out for the latest and greatest you will be paying for it dearly. But, if you stick to something reliable (an old mac let's say) it can continue to perform and adapt to your needs instead of having to upgrade or change hardware everytime you want to try something different. While it might not be able to 'do it all' the things it does are great.

They both have their place so I am not putting either down but you really need to hear it for yourself to believe it i guess.

Just my little rant.

Greg

I would say that unless you rely on having the deep voice of the Dual Rec and the slight sag created by the rectifier tubes then a Mark IV would more than cover your needs. The Mark IV really is that good. Just be patient enough to learn to use it and it will reward you over and over.

Platypus said:
Binner said:

....yup, check out the Buckethead tone on Buckethead and Friends. That is just a custom Gibby straight into a Dual Rec, delay and verb at the board. I heard it live, and it was even better!

...and it is called a Solo Head for a reason, but it gained a lot of popularity for rythym.

let's answer by stating what it cannot do:

It cannot go to the supermarket and get your food, but then , it can do it all.

Platypus said:
I just traded my DR for a MarkIV and I couldn't be happier. The clean is unreal.. it's just a joy to play with it... walks CIRCLES around the rectifier series (aside from RK and Roadster)

You got it wrong,

Aside from Tremoverb, which is he best sounding Mesa Ever

Can't go to the bank for you nor can it go to work for you by itself. I wish it could cook food and do laundry.

Is the T-verb the best sounding Mesa ever? I might be trading my 800 for one shortly. I will be able to compare them then. The real comparison I am looking for is the T-verb vs. a 2 ch Dual Rec. I figure the cleans in the T will be better but the gain in the Dual Rec will be better. I pretty much think that the Mark IV smokes them both for pure tone and tight tracking but just doesn't have the bottom or sag that the other two have.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I am going tomorrow morning to play one. I found someone who has one at a studio and is willing to let me jam on it a bit. I can't wait to hear it. I will post tomorrow with my findings...I will bring my dual rec as well to do a side by side comparison. Thanks again.

Steve.

Russ said:
Is the T-verb the best sounding Mesa ever? I might be trading my 800 for one shortly. I will be able to compare them then. The real comparison I am looking for is the T-verb vs. a 2 ch Dual Rec. I figure the cleans in the T will be better but the gain in the Dual Rec will be better. I pretty much think that the Mark IV smokes them both for pure tone and tight tracking but just doesn't have the bottom or sag that the other two have.

It will be tight if you are using the Diode rectifiers.
In the orange Hogh gain channel the leads are to die for, the real aggresive sounds come from the Red Modern and everything in between form tweaking.
Mind you:
If you are a Marshall player, you better forget all you know on dialing amps, the controls are interactive and different from the Marshall.

Start by putting everything on 12, on a clock dial.

My friend is a Marshall lover and a Mesa Hater, well , he was until he came by and i showed how versatile the Tverb was, he brought his DSL and within 10 minutes of playing his DSL was yurned off all night long.

DSL are good amps, don't get me wrong, i like em, but it was no contest.
When he finally found a sound He thought the Tverb couldn't do he went for Guns and Roses sounds on Sweet child of mine and welcome to the jungle, hahahahah, i only dropped a Sparkle drive in front of it and tweaked a little and the guys jaw dropped to the floor, hhahahahha.

That was using my Tremoverb combo.

I also have a head , but i found out i prefer the sound of a Tverb coming out of a 1/4th open back cabinet-3/4th closed.

More airy, bigger sounding i would say, less stiffer sounding.

here are the pics

i have post them b4, but what the heck:
MesasBogner-1.jpg

macmax said:
Platypus said:

You got it wrong,

Aside from Tremoverb, which is he best sounding Mesa Ever

To each their own... the cleans aren't even comparable in my opinion but that's why there are so many choices in amps out there :)

Binner said:
Platypus said:
Binner said:

....yup, check out the Buckethead tone on Buckethead and Friends. That is just a custom Gibby straight into a Dual Rec, delay and verb at the board. I heard it live, and it was even better!

...and it is called a Solo Head for a reason, but it gained a lot of popularity for rythym.

I've heard his tone and it's good.. but keep in mind he uses a Les Paul which is pretty much pure midrange. The rectos are a very mid-scooped amp by nature compared to the Mark series... other guitars I've used with it just sound too scooped for my tastes, I ended up having to run a tubescreamer all the time to balance out the tone for a decent lead tone.

Our tastes sound different, I'm glad Mesa makes so many great amplifiers to choose from :)

rabies said:
... you can run Mark IV classAB if you pull the two outer power tubes ...

Have you tried this? I would love to confirm it's safe. Wonder if I should quote this in Vintage to see if anyone has tried with success ...

Oh, the Mark IV will cook for you ... just unplug the fan and cut it up past 5, you'll have toast in about 2 minutes. 8)

I can cook toast. I mean really cook... like a steak and a baked potato or something. Now that would be great. :wink:

Back