What cabs can I use with an Express 5:25 Head?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Theoretically, any one of them. As long as the cab isn't super low power, and none of the stock Mesa cabs are, you should be fine. It's safe to run the 5:25 at 16Ω all the way down to 4Ω. You should be fine with anything. The only thing I worry about with cabs matching up is impedance and wattage. If you keep your wattage at 25 or higher and your impedance at 4Ω, 8Ω or 16Ω, you can plug into any cab. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether or not 4Ω requires you to use both 4Ω speaker outputs and whether or not the output is too high for a 25 watt speaker at that resistance.

You should be ok ohms wise with any mesa cabinet but probably one of the biggest issues is what one sounds best. I know that the express series has the lonestar cleans and the lonestar has a open back cabinet. Not to mention that different model cabinets are loaded with different speakers, so right there is another issue. I would play through the different Mesa cabinets to see which one is going to suit you.

I have the 5:50 and stumbled across a 4 x 12 / 16ohm cab and it works fine, it seems to really tighten it up?

Latest posts

Back