What are you currently playing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoG

Reaction score
So what kind of bands are all of y'all in?

My main project has myself, another guitarist, and a bass player and we're currently auditioning drummers. We're doing kind of a 'post-metal' thing, sort of a combination of early Tool, Pelican, and Neurosis. This one's about massive drop-D riffing and big twin-guitar leads, with some pretty bits here and there. I am mostly using my Mark III for this, because my bandmate uses mostly Recto tones out of a Roadster, and the combination is sweeeeeet.

I'm also backing a singer-songwriter who does fairly slick adult-oriented alt-folk-rock. He plays mostly fingerpicked acoustic-electric, and we have bass, drums, and sometimes some strings and keys. This is kind of a neat gig because I just play my Epi Valve Jr with an OD pedal and a delay (and tone knob, and pickup switches...) and there's a lot of licks, fills, and breaks that don't fit my usual style. So it's a real good workout.

I'm playing in a alt-metal band (think Chevelle, Seether) doing mostly covers, with originals in the works. I'm with another guitarist, bassist, drummer, and a vocalist who is getting ready to get the boot :| The guy has some issues with drinking and prescription drugs, and hasn't been able to remember the lyrics to songs, and basically, can't sing. The drummer and myself are doing the backups right now, but I'll probably be taking over the vocal position.

I'm also considering an all-original band that's a little heavier and has a little more exposure than my current band. They have a great guitarist, but need another guitarist and a singer, so I may be doing both in that band also.

im currently starting a band with an old friend who plays bass and writes on keys sometimes. we have another guitarist that is helping with some writing, but he's not a huge fan of the type of metal we are looking to do. we also have a vocalist that did some awsome tracks with the other guitarist's music, he should be laying down some vocal tracks for us in the next week or so. our drummer is currently fruity loops with a drums from hell plugin.

we're going more power/prog metal, similar to Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Kamelot, Elvenking, all wrapped up with influences from Dream Theater and Opeth.

Fusion Trio: droms, bass, and me on guitar
Doing covers of Tomo Fugita, Spyro Gyra, Guthrie Govan, Eric Johnson, Robben Ford, etc.., and a few originals. Mostly for fun as the money is pretty bad on So. Cal.

My number 1 project is Paradox Crossing, kind of a splattering of everything- folk, rock, hard rock, blues, jazz, a little metal, a little shred here and there, alternative, contemporary, fusion, and whatever we do next...
My number 2 project is in the works, a straight up old school metal band, simple rhythms that punch you in the gut and high flying vocals, with some mean solo's and the such- in the vain of iced earth, priest, maiden, metallica, megadeth, etc.
There's always the sit in gigs and such and I've also been doing theme songs with my singer from Paradox Crossing for you tube users.

As of now I am a guitarist in a metal band. Its always hard to really pinpoint the sub-genre as many bands do since we bring in influences from all aspects of metal...

...the best way I could think of it is taking Iron Maiden, incorporating Metalcore breakdowns, and also adding a lot of Prog elements to the mix.

I enjoy it, we're relatively new but getting around Florida hasn't been too tough. Hopefully we can record our demo in the next few weeks.

My band is me (guitar, vox), a friend (bass, vox), and a friend who used to be "just" my sister, till we grew up. Now she's my friend, and my drummer.

We haven't yet played out, but I'm writing stuff and we're practicing together on an irregular basis. I'm torn between mid-tempo, mellow rock stuff and a more aggressive approach that seems to be kind of west-coast-ish.

I guess I'm not sure what our stuff sounds like...I listen to a lot of U2, but we don't sound anything like them. I don't set out to sound like anything in particular, it's just whatever comes out when I'm searching for a progression or hook, or whatever.

I'm currently in the backing band for Paul Di'Anno (ex. Maiden) in Norway, also have a Saxon cover band which is called "Snaxon", haha, and I also have my own material in the works which is sort of U2 meets Richie Sambora solo where I also do my own singing.

i'm always annoyed when people asking what kind of "style" we're doing...

usually i say rock :lol:

but there's a lot of influence : post-rock, post-punk, post-metal, post-everything, math-rock...

one good friend of us said we sound like isis get fucked by fugazi...

music men made is always the result of what they're listen to...

I'm in a variety horn band (Spectrum) doing big band, swing, Motown and some rock.
I'm also in a prog/rock band (The Jake Nielsen Band) doing originals and some covers. Our writer is a keyboardist/vocalist and he loves Dream Theater, as do I. We're gonna see them in 2 days.
I'm also in talks with a drummer, bassist and keyboardist (a different one than above) about doing classic rock from the 60s and 70s.
Maybe I'll get to push some heavy tones outta my Mark IV with some of these.

I'm playing everything from country to metal, but my band mainly plays emo/indie/pop punk

I recently got out of a band that did some hard rock and some just classic rock covers.

Im looking for a new band. im into things ranging from Metal to Rock to Jazz. If anyone knows anyone in the San Diego Area, it would be much appreciated to get to know other musicians who use quality Mesa Gear who I can Jam with.

Right now I'm living in the 80's...

Ozzy - Miracle Man
Whitesnake - Fool for your Lovin'
Blue Murder - Blue Murder
Racer X - Hammer Away

playing covers, and writing some originals now that we have a singer (i think).

Covers:

Slayer: Ghosts of War/Read Between the Lies
Metallica: Battery, Puppets, Disposable Heroes, Orion
Megadeth: Holy Wars/Punishment Due, The Conjuring
Testament: Burnt Offerings, Practice What You Preach
Sepultura: Inner Self
King Diamond: Welcome Home, Invisible Guests, Accusation Chair, Sleepless Nights
Anthrax: Indians, Caught In a Mosh

Rock cover band - most early 90's grunge to the latetest stuff playing on rock readio with the "must plays" in between.

CoG said:
We're doing kind of a 'post-metal' thing, sort of a combination of early Tool, Pelican, and Neurosis. This one's about massive drop-D riffing and big twin-guitar leads, with some pretty bits here and there. I am mostly using my Mark III for this, because my bandmate uses mostly Recto tones out of a Roadster, and the combination is sweeeeeet.

it sounds like we're playing in very similar bands :wink: 8) .

It's me (guitar), my friend (guitar), his dad (drums) and another friend (bass). Both guitar players are using SG's, with me through a dual rec and the other guitar player through a Peavey JSX and when we get going in unison on the same riff, it gets thunderous. We've all got our roots in different genres of metal from 70's era Sabbath/Deep Purple, to 80's staples like Metallica and Maiden to modern stuff like LoG, Tool and Isis. The middle ground we meet at can be a pretty interesting place at times. No singer yet though. We'll probably audition for one once we have enough material written.

Our sound usually treads within post-metal or art-metal with a lot of dynamic between the ultra heavy sludge and the pretty/spacey passages and some thrash numbers thrown in for good measure.

Power trio of Doom, Don't know what to call it. Doom/Southern metal? see the link in my sig. and you tell me, i get a headache thinking about it.

Solo project where i play everything. Think My Dying Bride, but more ambient electronics. I havent finished the lyrics yet, but i'm almost ready to start tracking drums.

Latest posts

Back