What are the best tube to put in a MkIII

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3d

Reaction score
Ok, i might be getting a MkIII blueline 1988 combo tomorow, and i was told the tubes needed to be replaced, but i don't realy know what to get realy. i want the best distortion possible out of this puppy basucaly. and reverb tube needs to be replaced as well it seems.

Thanks for any info you guys have

Forgot to ask...but the combo as 2x 6l6 and 2x EL34 Right?

Come on guys...surely someone can help me on with this?...specialy on a boogie board..;)

In my opinion the best tubes are NOS,but to do this you need to be able to adjust your bias for the power tubes.This can be complicated for the novice,and expensive.Your best bet would be to contact Doug at dougstubes.com or Eurotubes for suggestions on current production tubes.

Yep, Doug's or Euro will help you "get your mind right".
If it's Simul-Class, yes, it uses EL-34s in the outer tube sockets and 6L6s in the inner sockets. If you don't have a copy, get the manual at Mesa's website, it will tell you which tube does what.
Three's rule!

What wattage is it?

I have had pretty good results with a simlu mk III and mesa str430's...i like str415 more but and JJ's power amp tubes are good too.. as for pre.. something like EH and mullard, or Tungstrum and RFT are all very well suited for it..

al3d,

Check out the archives ...lots written on this already, and "best" tubes really is in the ears of the beholder.

FWIW, if you do go with NOS tubes (which I think you should, personally), Mike at KCA tubes (http://www.kcanostubes.com/content/) is excellent ...no affiliation except that I am a very satisfied customer as he is great to deal with and really knows his stuff.

One note on the EL34s, though: I really would get the Mesa STR450 here, which are NOS Siemens. Wow, these really are worth the dough as they have great mids and lovely chime on top. Again, check out the archives. :)

Edward

Latest posts

Back