What amp would I use?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was thinking about picking up a new guitar, but the kicker is I want to have the piezo pickups in the saddle, so now my question is what kind of preamp would I use? Does anyone have this sort of setup? sorry if this thread is in the wrong place, i don't know where to put it, any help would be appreciated !

Not sure yet, probably a music man, but do you knwo what kind of preamp? and what kind of poweramp, am i looking at a totally different kind of rig?

I had a Graphtech Ghost system not too long ago. Sounded okay. Nothing like my Martin of course. If I had to do it over again I think I'd go with a Fishman and one of their powerbridge setups. A bit spendy but looks a lot more user friendly, less wires and I read somewhere they sound a lot better than the Ghost. Or you could just go buy a Petrucci Ernie Ball guitar with a piezo already built in. Just my 2 cents.
Later

http://www.fishman.com/products/electric-guitar-products.asp

I was going for a fishman product but totally irrilevent to my question guys! do you guys know what preamp + poweramp i woudl be using? or have any suggestions

Forgot to mention, along with the Ghost system I had a Fender Acoustisonic guitar amp that I had along with my other amp and I would just A/B between the two.

cool, I'm going back to rack setup, is there any PA system rack system t aht i would use? is that would I even use?

I don't know about any rack mount systems to use with piezos. I just always thought a dedicated acoustic amp would do the trick. I don't know for sure, but you might be able to go straight to the PA system. Just use an A/B switcher? Guess I'm not much help. Good luck!

haha thanks boogie tone, I know i have to go into a PA system, but i was wondering what kind, like it's not a guitar PreAmp, i know john petrucci had a setup like mine, maybe i should echeck his stuff out

He just plugs the piezo signal into a direct box which sends to the house PA.

For home use, a simple acoustic amp is all you need for great acoustic tone. But, I would first try it through your regular amp. I used a JP w/piezo through a Marshall TSL at Guitar Center, and it actually sounded really good. Give your amp a shot before buying anything else.

Well, i'm getting a studio pre soon so maybe i can somehow get the dirt tone first then hopefully it'll turn out prestine clean like and i'll just plug it into a poweramp and use alot of headroom, iunno, I really like the JP guitar, i think that's what i'll get , musicmans are so much better then ibanezs, the necks are just so fricken fast and the bodys, :)

Nick_cor said:
Well, i'm getting a studio pre soon so maybe i can somehow get the dirt tone first then hopefully it'll turn out prestine clean like and i'll just plug it into a poweramp and use alot of headroom, iunno, I really like the JP guitar, i think that's what i'll get , musicmans are so much better then ibanezs, the necks are just so fricken fast and the bodys, :)

I'll have to try a MusicMan sometime. I have an Ibanez JPM100 designed by Petrucci. That neck is pretty **** fast. I can only imagine how fast his new MM guitars must be!

Back