What 2x12 extension cab do you guys use???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I have been thinking about picking up a used 2x12 3/4 back cab.
I have a homebrew head just sitting around that could really use a good cabinet.
Plus, I would like something light enough to carry to a gig if I want to use the cab with my DC-3 or 5 combo.

I have a Mark series 1x12 open back cab (with EVM) that I use under my DC-3, but the 5 is a little wider.

Anyway.....
I would like to know what 2x12 cabs you guys are using and why.
I used to have a Rectifier 2x12, but I never really used it much because I had about 5 cabs at the time.

My Rectifier vertical 2x12 is the best cab I've ever had, of any configuration. I've never tried a horizontal one, but the vertical one is the bee's knees as far as I'm concerned. It has the frequency spread of a 4x12, but without all the obnoxious volume, size, or weight. I've never understood why horizontal seems to be the primary orientation for 2x12 cabs. Either the treble shoots at your ankles where you can't hear it, or you lift it up off the ground and your low end disappears.

Whoopysnorp said:
My Rectifier vertical 2x12 is the best cab I've ever had

That's what I am using under my MK III combo. Best amp I have ever had. I like the closed back, a previous owner cut my back panel into thirds, but I have always left them all on.

I haven't tried a vertical 2x12. Years ago, a friend (tone snob) told me that the vertical 2x12 was the worst cabinet design ever invented. Guess I took him at his word and never really looked at them.

Here's what you do ...

You build a 2x12" out of Hawaiian Koa. You report back to us its the best "effffing" 2x12" you have ever heard.

You act like you are now the privileged one with such an enclosure of exotic wood. Some tone quest member will be envious and will lose sleep wanting one. :twisted:

Both of my cabs are 2x12s, so you'd think I would be helpful to this thread, but both were made by companies (Redstar Audio, Speakertone) that are no longer in the business of building guitar cabinets, so maybe I'm not. :lol:

Monsta-Tone said:
I haven't tried a vertical 2x12. Years ago, a friend (tone snob) told me that the vertical 2x12 was the worst cabinet design ever invented. Guess I took him at his word and never really looked at them.

Weird. It's not just me--every guitar player friend who has plugged into this cab has remarked on how good it sounds.

I'm using a custom built horizontal. Sort of like a marshall 4x12 straight cab cut in half. I've never tried a vertical 2x12 so i can't really say how it compares to one of those, but I am thoroughly happy with mine. It definitely has that closed back thump that i like.

For the past several years I've used mainly 2X12's. My Rhy. cab is a Randall St. w/ Swamp Thangs and a 1/3 open back...sounds fat! My lead Ch. is a modded Genz Benz 2X12 w/ V30's and is front ported...great projection when you're stepping out for your solos.

I've used Mesa 2x12 horizontal closed, 3/4 back and vertical. Since I use a head and only one cab the horizontal ones are too low to the ground for me. When I do use a 2x12 horizontal I prefer a partial open back so I can hear it better. The Mesa vertical is a great cabinet but for me it needed to be played fairly loud to sound best and though not always a problem sometimes I had to keep a low stage volume. Pretty heavy too but that didn't keep me from using it. After some thought I decided to try a diagonally mounted 2x12 by Stagecraft Gear, side business for a guy from Reason amps. It's larger, 26"x27"x14" but I wanted something that could hold a medium length head or my rack gear and be tall enough to hear better when on shallow stages. Baffle slanted up helps too. I believe it's 38lbs empty.

MesaDC-5HeadCanereduced.jpg

CIMG1738.jpg

I used to use a fender 2x12 combo and set it up on its side to get what i now get even better with this -
mesaboogie014.jpg

My Egnater Tourmaster 2X12 cab can be closed back or 3/4 back. It's got durable casters and a reliable handle. And it's slightly larger than the typical 2X12 cab. I don't feel it's as sexy as some of the Mesa cabs, but it more than makes up for it in utility.

My TA-15 enjoyed the speakers - Celestion-made Egnater Elite 80's. We'll see how the DC-3 takes to them. So far I have no complaints about the speakers and have no reason to change them.

My understanding is that the Elite 80 is a version of the Classic Lead 80 with slightly more bass. I also understand that the CL80 is not too far off from the MC-90, which ought to make it a decent all-around speaker for Mesa amps. I was considering getting a Rebel 1x12 cab for a while to provide a closed-back option and second speaker choice for apartment recording, but I wound up finding (separately) an MC-90 and a Sunn T50 1x12 ported cab.

Whoopy,

I have not played through a Classic Lead, so I can't offer any insight. I've always been a Vintage 30 kind of guy. However, Bruce Egnater had this to say about the Elite 80:
"The Egnater Elite 80 is a Classic Lead 80 that is private labeled for us. They did some sort of tweak to the low end that makes it ever so slightly fuller in a small cabinet. Honestly, I don't know if anyone could really tell the difference between the Egnater and the CL80 except maybe in a blind A/B test. I would consider them interchangeable. FYI, this speaker excels over other speakers in the smaller cabinets (open or closed back) for a much fuller/tighter low end, smoother high end and tons less cone break up (farting). How loud you play has a tremendous effect on how a speaker responds. A V30 can sound brighter, clearer at low volumes but does tend to get a little abrasive in the high end and definitely breaks up easier than the 80 at higher volume."

Avatar make some great cabs, i had a vintage 2x12 and still own a avatar vintage 4x12 and they sound awesome. Very affordable too.

Latest posts

Back