Way TOOOOOOOO Much Treble

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryathome

Reaction score
I bought one of the 75’Th anniversary models. And as each day goes by, it gets more and more trebly. I mean I almost have to put my presence and treble on zero, really zero, on all channels, all modes. When I first got it a few weeks ago, sounded great, now I can barley use it.

You'd think especially on these models they would be flawless. I spent 4k on this amp.

I think he means he got number 75 of the 40th anniversery models.

Have you called Mesa? I can understand the frustration, but if you haven't owned a boogie before, you'll get to see what first class customer service is. Marcus sat on the phone with me one day for 10 minutes while I swapped tubes on a second hand Mark IV that was 6 years out of warranty.

They will take care of you. I understand you frustration, but between shipping and tubes, there are things beyond there control that can happen. Just rest assured they will make it right!

1st. Yes I got number 10 of 75 of the 40th anniversay Mark V's. Its in Saple, and you can see pics on this site if you are interested.

2nd. I don't think its lack of bottom line, it can get pretty muddy.

Most importantly, it is slowly getting worse, ear piercing tone. It wasn't like that when I got if a few weeks ago. I've not played it in days due to the tone issues.

I"m at a loss right now.

I know when I switched the reverb wires accidentally on my Mark IV, the reverb turned into more treble. Just throwing that out there.

barryathome said:
I bought one of the 75’Th anniversary models. And as each day goes by, it gets more and more trebly. I mean I almost have to put my presence and treble on zero, really zero, on all channels, all modes. When I first got it a few weeks ago, sounded great, now I can barley use it.

You'd think especially on these models they would be flawless. I spent 4k on this amp.

sorry to hear about your problem......

i had a similar problem a while ago, the amp became very trebly, harsh, the bass was unfocus and loose some output :(

try new powertubes and no change so a focus on the preamp tubes and my V7/driver/phase inverter was the problem :D

hope that helps

salvatruco said:
so a focus on the preamp tubes and my V7/driver/phase inverter was the problem :D

hope that helps

Definitely start swapping tubes. That's the first rule of tube amp troubleshooting!

If it's a new amp under warranty then it is Mesa's problem not yours!

MusicManJP6 said:
salvatruco said:
so a focus on the preamp tubes and my V7/driver/phase inverter was the problem :D

hope that helps

Definitely start swapping tubes. That's the first rule of tube amp troubleshooting!

I moved around the power tubes and it mad a difference. However, now on Channel 2 the Edge and Crunch volume are normal, switch to the Mark I and the volume goes way down, all 3 have he same settings. Any ideass on this? FWIW, the MarkI is the worst setting on the amp.

barryathome said:
However, now on Channel 2 the Edge and Crunch volume are normal, switch to the Mark I and the volume goes way down, all 3 have he same settings.
a more-than-small volume drop when switching from Edge or Crunch to Mk I, in my experience, is normal. with my settings, if i have the overall Master Vol on 9 o'clock when using the Crunch channel, i have to turn the master up to 10 o'clock to make Mk I sound the same loudness.

scott from _actual time_ said:
barryathome said:
However, now on Channel 2 the Edge and Crunch volume are normal, switch to the Mark I and the volume goes way down, all 3 have he same settings.
a more-than-small volume drop when switching from Edge or Crunch to Mk I, in my experience, is normal. with my settings, if i have the overall Master Vol on 9 o'clock when using the Crunch channel, i have to turn the master up to 10 o'clock to make Mk I sound the same loudness.

I think this is normal as well.

barryathome said:
FWIW, the MarkI is the worst setting on the amp.

I have to disagree. Try this: turn the GEQ off and the bass EQ to 9:00 and then crank the presence to noon or more (to taste).

MusicManJP6 said:
scott from _actual time_ said:
barryathome said:

I think this is normal as well.

barryathome said:
FWIW, the MarkI is the worst setting on the amp.

I have to disagree. Try this: turn the GEQ off and the bass EQ to 9:00 and then crank the presence to noon or more (to taste).

Tried it and you are right, this lesson has taught me, how much you need to tweak this amp, but what's amazing, is that you can shape it in so many ways, to me, like having 9 amazing amps in one box......

barryathome said:
MusicManJP6 said:
salvatruco said:

hope that helps

I moved around the power tubes and it mad a difference. However, now on Channel 2 the Edge and Crunch volume are normal, switch to the Mark I and the volume goes way down, all 3 have he same settings. Any ideass on this? FWIW, the MarkI is the worst setting on the amp.

:roll: and you felt the need to get the special edition ? :lol:

:roll: and you felt the need to get the special edition ? :lol:[/quote]

Really not sure I get your comment. I'm very happy I made the decision to buy the limited edition amp. Truly the most amazing amp I've ever played through, and just looking at it, well is stunning.

So yes, I felt the need to buy the special edition.

Latest posts

Back