Warming up a Mark I?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol4t

Reaction score
I have a RI MkI and want to use it more like a Fender clean amp. Any tips for "warming up " the sound, adding more bass?
I'm thinking equalizer, speaker changeout....

ol4t said:
I have a RI MkI and want to use it more like a Fender clean amp. Any tips for "warming up " the sound, adding more bass?
I'm thinking equalizer, speaker changeout....

I've never played a Mark I, but those Fender are similar but they doesn't have adjustable gain. If you want it to behave like a Fender Blackface clean I would keep the gain low and raise the master output.

However If you are looking for a SRV break-up then you should definitely use a Tube-Screamer type of overdrive with the preamp gain a bit high. The preamp gain should be set so there is a slightly tube-break up. Then kick in the Tube-Screamer to push the tube into full overdrive.

I hope this was the kind of answer you were looking for.

I haven't played many amps that have more bass than my MK 1 RI. The reason why the MK 1 doesn't sound so similar to a blackface fender is because of its pronounced lower mid-range in contrast to the "scooped" mid-range of many fenders. If you have the 1x12 combo, the bass tends to get pretty congested sounding in such as small cab. In my experience, the best way to get a more fendery sound out of the MK 1 is to hook it up to a larger extension cab so as to make the sound deeper and more three dimensional.

The MK's clean channels are based on the Fender clean tone.I dont have a MKI,but my MKII and my S.O.B. cleans are pretty much a Fender clone.Where do you have the bass knob set?Try turning it down to about 2,Boogies get mushy any higher than that.Turning the master up fairly high,I would say 7 or so and adjusting the gain somewhat low,as breogan pointed out will get you closer to a Fender.If you are really looking to scoop the mids,an EQ is the route to go,but you should get close without it.You should be able to get the SRV type of breakup without a pedal,that is exactly what the gain/master volume combination is intended for,not specifically the SRV tone,but it should be in there as well as any amount of break-up from squeaky clean to screaming.Keep tweaking it,its in there.

Latest posts

Back