Walkabout Scout Combo - Different Models???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muik

Reaction score
I bought a Walkabout Scout Combo (1x12) about 4 months ago. Surfing trough mesa's website, yesterday, i found out it's supposed to have a 3-way crossover switch and a horn reset switch, placed around the horn volume knob on the back of the cab. But mine doesn't:?: It misses the 3-way switch and the horn reset, how can that be? Did mesa changed the Scout specs lately?

The serial number is 002403 (that's the amp's number, the cab doesn't seem to have one). I wanted to call the tech support department but they don't have a 1-800 line (i'm in canada). I wanted to ask them if it was normal for my combo to miss such features, and i wanted to know the default crossover freq, since i can't change it! Anyway, i emailed them, i'm not sure if they'll ever reply to me. If someone could call and ask these questions, i would be very thankful. :)

On another side, when i boost the bass a little too much below 60Hz, i get a weird "fart" or crackling kind of sound coming from the sub, i was wondering if that could damage it, or if it's some kind of normal "protection" behaviour. I have an active Musicman Stingray5 bass, and the crackling always comes up if I turn the bass knob a little too far... I'm I the only one hearing this? Is it possible to damage the cab by boosting the sound a little too much?

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read this, i'm grateful.

Jon

Hi Muik, You have the previous model of Walkabout Scout. I had the same model until recently when faults with the amp meant that it had to be replaced entirely (see thread a bit further down). The replacement model had the features that you mention. It is an upgraded version. If you bought your scout recently it must have been around in the store for a while.

There were some niggling problems with the previous model of scout. If it is still under warranty I would get it checked out by your dealer or distributor. The distributor in the UK (Westside) is excellent and were determined to help me out. Also, have a look at 2tone's thread just below this one. Hope all goes well.

I finally had a reply from mesaboogie, and yeah, it's an older model but the serial # says that it's been made after the "warning" notice. Beside, the phart comes from the sub using extra-low freqs wich is the opposite of the warning statement, saying that the problem is due to boosting high freqs... So my amp doesn't fit the warning! It's just that i'm pushing the lows a little too much :p

I _DO_ have a diagnosticed problem with the amp, tho. For some reason, DC is going trough my D.I. :!: I noticed the problem when trying to record my bass using my DI trough my mixer. The mixer's peak led is always lighting up even if PFL's VU shows me no sign of peaking (hell, the signal doesn't even cross the -24db line). Now i know why all the techs i worked with decided to use a direct box instead of my balanced D.I.... My dealer says he's going to look into this problem, but i kinda hope it can't get fixed and i will get a replacement model, 'coz i really want that 3-way switch crossover. :twisted:

I'll keep you guys updated. babye!

Latest posts

Back