Wah pedals

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis

Reaction score
After having a few different (not so good) wah pedals that i hardly used, a few months ago i got a Dunlop 535Q. It also has an OD option that i dont really use too much however i really like the extra drive i get through my amp even without the OD engaged and pedal is fully depressed. I guess it is similar to EQ when not sweeping it but it sounds fantastic.

What Wah pedal should i get next or should i even get another one. Not to replace this one but pretty much alltogether different-

Budda or Dunlop Zack Wylde or another?

I like to explore more 'modern\classic metal' tone like i suppose Zak Wylde would give but maybe Budda would be better overall. Any ideas?

I just bought a budda recently. It sounds great, but I'm not sure it is the best match for classic metal tones. For wahs, I really suggest trying out as many side by side with the same model/style amp as you're going to use. I did the same, though I didn't find a store with Buddas in stock. The Buddy Guy signature dunlop sounded great, the best of the dunlops I demoed. Nice deep tone.

i had a wylde, loved it for a few days then started hating it.. it killed the gain and definition of the notes and had an uncomfortably positioned sweet spot in the sweep of the pedal for me.. (note of caution, i'm using a hot rails-equipped strat through an unboosted mark iv, so it could be a different story with an EMG-equipped guitar or something more metal-ish)

i quickly moved to a morley bad horsie II and loving it so far (since may of this year)..

it's not a true wah in the sense that its opto-electronic instead of potentiometer driven, but it has a very natural sweep to my ears, and i really like the gain/contour options and the fact that it turns on/off by foot pressure instead of having to push it all the way down and click it on.. plus, no pot to get scratchy..

Morley Bad Horsie II has taken the top spot for me. Never have to punch it to turn it on, I love the auto on/off. Wow, I'm lazy :D

the dimebag crybaby from hell is what i've been using for the past 2yrs. its biggest good points for me are all the different EQ options, the fact that you can adjust the tension of the pedal and control where the sweep ends and begins in a sense.

basically its one versatile beast. and the boost is a nice feature but i dont really use it.

then again i dont use wah too much.

what about the tremonti wah? i've been discussing it with people in another thread, and it is probably what i'm going to get next. true bypass, switchless, and has a boost option.

jtb226 said:
what about the tremonti wah? i've been discussing it with people in another thread, and it is probably what i'm going to get next. true bypass, switchless, and has a boost option.
maybe ibanez4life SZ! can weigh in on that for you.. i noticed from his gearlist he's gone from a tremonti to a bad horsie ii

Thanks for all the info, a few i have not even heard of. I cant decide which one to get and it will be impossible to even try out most of them. But probably couldnt go wrong with any of them.

Too bad a few may be out of my price range, for now anyway. When i am ready to buy i will refer to this thread. :wink:

I am still figuring out new ways to use the 535Q, i like the 'Adjustable gain control' and 'Q-control' which cuts wah effect and leaves gain. The funny thing is this is the best sounding gain padal i have ever used in that it doesnt color the tone of the amp at all, the frequency is just higher which when fully depressed and with Q control thing i can eliminate mostly all of wah effect. Well, i dont know, do you guys use wah pedal for gain\drive? For this purpose i like this pedal, do all the other pedals have this ability and also able to keep it in one fixed position, i dont think the Morley does that (fixed position), althougfh the Ibanez screaming demon can do both fixed and return, if i remember correctly.

I noticed that in ibanez4life SZ!'s last post he had his Bad Horsie II up for sale. He didn't say why. I thought he liked it because I had asked him about it before. I was interested in getting a Tremonti until I started checking out the Bad Horsie II.

+1 for Buddah wah. I love mine.

whatever you get, I suggest true bypass as wah's are tone suckers.

The first one I had was an old Morley "oil can" wah from the 70's. It had an added roto type effect that could be engaged, sounded like a rock tumbler in the chrome box. Tech guy i took it too said it had a real rotating disc in it to create the effect.

thing sounded wicked cool (from leslie style to alien ray gun) until you turned it off, then it sucked the presence/treble dry...no amount of knob turning could get it back.

I always loved different wah’s! All the people above me have list different wah’s they use and I think they are all great different but great!
The one that always finds its way into my setup is the Crybaby DCR-ISR rack mount wah had it for years and love it. The foot controller passes no audio through it, just a controller so you don’t get that scratch effect after time and dirt in the POT. On the unit itself I have 6 ranges which basically take you from a traditional Crybaby to a Vox type wah. There is also an EQ which you can engage which does work very well but find that I leave it off. My next choice would be the Bad Horsie II (also have a Bad Horsie 1). There again it is a wah where no audio passes through the POT.
Just got a Budda a few months and I like it allot just a really sweat sounding piece of gear.

Back