Volume Box!?!?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james86

Reaction score
Hey guys!

What do you think of this item?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Volume-Box-Valve-Amp-Power-Tap-Power-Soak-Brake_W0QQitemZ180283144186QQihZ008QQcategoryZ22669QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im curious, does it, pretty much, do the same job as the THD Hot Plate etc?

I know this place is a fountain of knowledge so i thought i would ask you guys :)

Many thanks in advance!

james

It's totally different from a Hot Plate.

What this does is put a volume control in your FX loop. So it limits the amount of preamp signal that hits the power amp.

You'll still have the problem, then, of getting great preamp and power amp distortion since the signal hitting the power amp will be weaker.

I use a technique similar to this from time to time. And when used lightly, it can produce alright results. But the point of a Hot Plate is to dime the pre and power amps. Run them both as hot as you want. And then attenuate the signal to the speakers. The idea being that your amp is pushing as hard as it needs to in order to get the tone you want, but you knock the volume off AFTER all the amplification.

camsna said:
It's totally different from a Hot Plate.

What this does is put a volume control in your FX loop. So it limits the amount of preamp signal that hits the power amp.

You'll still have the problem, then, of getting great preamp and power amp distortion since the signal hitting the power amp will be weaker.

I use a technique similar to this from time to time. And when used lightly, it can produce alright results. But the point of a Hot Plate is to dime the pre and power amps. Run them both as hot as you want. And then attenuate the signal to the speakers. The idea being that your amp is pushing as hard as it needs to in order to get the tone you want, but you knock the volume off AFTER all the amplification.

Thanks for that!!

I hate not being able to go over 2 or 3 on my master volume when playing shows! Even putting it up slightly to 4 is just so much better in sound but stupidly loud! haha

I use a dc-10 by the way.
So i guess its a THD Hot plate i need or something of the like anyway!?

Do you use one???? Any views, comments or recommendations? THD has a rather mighty price tag...

Again, Thanks for your perfect response!

*BUMP*

Any advice would be great, what other options do i have, if any?

Does any one rate the THD Hot Plate? Or any other similar products??

Cheers guys!!

james

I;ve had a THD Hotplate for a long time and it works great. Plenty of features.

that'd be the same as putting a volume pedal in your loop.

you'd only drop the level of send to the power amp.

Latest posts

Back