volume between channels

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Sorry to throw out a bunch of questions...

My volume between my distortion and clean channels is really off. The channel volume on my clean is maxed and the channel volume on my distortion (ch3 modern) is 9-10 o'clock. Should there be that much difference? To get the clean to match ch3, I have to use the solo boost.

Do others have this problem?

Clean: If you turn Modern that high, yes, Clean is going to need a lot of volume. Full up is awfully high, though. If your Gain is turned down on Clean, turn it up to 12:00-1:00. That will compress the Clean and even out the channel volume difference.

If higher Gain settings cause too much dirt, turn down the Presence and Mids to around 9:00 or so. Use Treble to adjust brightness.

I sometimes run the Gain up around 2:00 and the channel volume stays below 11:00. Presence is almost off, but Treble is around 1:30. At that point, the Mid becomes a distortion controller.

Modern: The volume can be run around 9:00 and it still sounds great. Turn up the Output control. That will make balancing the other channels easier.

I was wondering a similar thing on my mini rectifier: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=70824

Judging from this, it seems pretty standard even on it's bigger brother

Do you really not know about gain and volume? Can't have one with out the other! Well... Sometimes. PETE

It would help if you post your modes and setting of your channels, as well as which amp from the rectifier family you are using.

I can say that the various modes will sound quieter or powder just by changing the mode alone. This behavior is the same on my mini rectifier and my roadster.

andross182 said:
It would help if you post your modes and setting of your channels, as well as which amp from the rectifier family you are using.

I can say that the various modes will sound quieter or powder just by changing the mode alone. This behavior is the same on my mini rectifier and my roadster.

He did give that info. He's using Modern and Clean modes on a 3 Ch.

Huh, I guess he did.

At any rate, yes there can and will be a massive volume disparity between clean and modern, especially at higher volumes. I find that for higher volume, using "pushed" and rolling the volume back on my guitar helps a lot with the issue.

I think I got pretty good levels now. Much better than before. Thanks for the tips. I'll try the "pushed" setting too.

Latest posts

Back