Video clips from P&W gig (Mesa F-50 content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dann'sTheMan

Reaction score
South East, UK - dissecting yet another Huff solo
Hi Friends,

I’ve been Umming and Ahhhing about whether I should post these, because they are far from perfect, however they are a quick snapshot into some of the gigs I’ve got on my plate at the moment. :oops:

I’ve been playing a lot of Praise & Worship (P&W) gigs this year - rather than Gospel concerts say. I play for a monthly P&W event to about 500, and the band is being asked to play around the UK and into Europe. More P&W gigs are also surfacing in London and elsewhere. The video clips below are from a new P&W event half-way up the country in the Midlands that I was asked to help get off the ground whilst they build up their own musicians and various supporting teams. What was cool was that the Bassist and Drummer from my old funk rock band also agreed to take part, so it was fun getting together with those guys once more. There was also a string quintet, and I always enjoy playing with such a setup.

So here are a couple of clips from the evening. Apologies for the amount of reverb on my guitar tone – I don’t actually run much reverb on my signal, but I had my miked Mesa F-50 set up for sidewash (positioned in the centre of the stage behind the bass rig, and firing to the right), and so the camcorder seems to be picking up the sound of the amp bouncing off a couple of walls, and only a little from the PA. I hope you enjoy them anyway, I certainly enjoyed playing – something that you may indeed notice from my expression :p :

Glory solo (4.65 MB)
Still solo (5.98 MB)

If you only get audio, you will need to download the DIVX video codec from http://www.divx.com/divx/download

Please let me know what you think. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

I don't have the means to check them out here (I'm at work), but I cartainly will later.

I just noticed your signiture that you are a Dann Huff fan. That guy is freaking amazing! I've been a fan of his since his studio musician days before Giant. He played on EVERYBODY's records back then. He is most definitely one of those guys who has a style you instantly recognize.

redmax61 said:
I don't have the means to check them out here (I'm at work), but I cartainly will later.

I just noticed your signiture that you are a Dann Huff fan. That guy is freaking amazing! I've been a fan of his since his studio musician days before Giant. He played on EVERYBODY's records back then. He is most definitely one of those guys who has a style you instantly recognize.

Hi redmax61,

Great to run into other people who appreciate Dann Huff - he is the Man! 8) Yep, he was certainly at the top of the session A-list when he was in LA before Giant was formed. After Giant, and his relocation back to Nashville, he rose to the top of the Nashville session scene, playing rock influenced New Country and CCM throughout the Nineties until present. He's now one of the hottest producers in Music City, and still plays guitar for choice gigs. Did you catch the TV special for Faith Hill that he MD'd a few years ago? Dann has still got that amazing touch, and stunning tone! 8) :D

I look forward to hearing what your think. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

plumptone said:
Great tone, Andy. Love it. What guitar are you using?

Hi plumptone,

The guitar in those two clips is my PRS Custom 22 - my "Paula". She's a beautifully present and punchy guitar - there's more of her in the videos in my Signing In Thread. I also played my outrageously versatile Charvel Strat ("Baby") for some of the songs that night. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Dann'sTheMan said:
Hi redmax61,

Great to run into other people who appreciate Dann Huff - he is the Man! 8) Yep, he was certainly at the top of the session A-list when he was in LA before Giant was formed. After Giant, and his relocation back to Nashville, he rose to the top of the Nashville session scene, playing rock influenced New Country and CCM throughout the Nineties until present. He's now one of the hottest producers in Music City, and still plays guitar for choice gigs. Did you catch the TV special for Faith Hill that he MD'd a few years ago? Dann has still got that amazing touch, and stunning tone! 8) :D

Big smiles,

Andy.

No, I haven't heard anything he's done lately. I'm not much of a country fan, and I've been somewhat out of the loop for a little while. It's not too hard to imagine him getting to the top of the country scene quickly. I know his brother David has been doing country for a while.

I was in Dayton, Ohio a few years ago. There was a huge concert set up in the parking lot of a shopping center. I can't remember who was playing, some country artist. But I remember hearing Dave's name mentioned during band introductions.

As far as I'm concerned, "Last of the runaways" is easily in the top 10 of my alltime must hear list. Amazing tone and even more over the top playing. I love his lightning fast runs.

redmax61 said:
Dann'sTheMan said:
Hi redmax61,

Big smiles,

Andy.

No, I haven't heard anything he's done lately. I'm not much of a country fan, and I've been somewhat out of the loop for a little while. It's not too hard to imagine him getting to the top of the country scene quickly. I know his brother David has been doing country for a while.

I was in Dayton, Ohio a few years ago. There was a huge concert set up in the parking lot of a shopping center. I can't remember who was playing, some country artist. But I remember hearing Dave's name mentioned during band introductions.

As far as I'm concerned, "Last of the runaways" is easily in the top 10 of my alltime must hear list. Amazing tone and even more over the top playing. I love his lightning fast runs.

Hi Robin,

You may well have heard some of Dann's more recent playing without realising e.g. he played the guitars for Celine Dion's, "My Heart Will Go On" Titanic ballad fest. If you're interested in investigating more (not necessarily because of Celine Dion :oops: ) then search for Dann on http://www.allmusic.com/ and go to the Credits section (pages & pages!!) - chances are you, or someone you know, has some more of Dann playing. Oh, and it's not just New Country, Dann recently produced Megadeth. :D

Big smiles,

Andy.

Thanks for the hookup! Once again, you caught me at work and I can't look at it from here, but I'll check it out when I get home. I'm sure his list of credits is as long as War and Peace. The guy's played for everyone!

Dann'sTheMan said:
plumptone said:
Great tone, Andy. Love it. What guitar are you using?

Hi plumptone,

The guitar in those two clips is my PRS Custom 22 - my "Paula". She's a beautifully present and punchy guitar - there's more of her in the videos in my Signing In Thread. I also played my outrageously versatile Charvel Strat ("Baby") for some of the songs that night. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Andy...such a sweet sound. I use strats and teles, but I also have a PRS. Mine's a CE-22, Love the thing, but I'm afraind to play it out too much - you know - smoky bars, beer, etc., etc. I love the versatility of the gtr, not to mention the incredible sustain its capable of.

Here's a link. There's a video of me playing with my band last summer at an outdoor gig. The sound quality is pretty miserable, and the video was recorded on a hand held camera, but you'll get the general idea. It's about half way down the page, ad you'll need to download (free) Flash8 to play it . Let me know what you think. I wish I was as good and polished as you, but having been relegated to the ranks of weekend warrior, I simply don't have enough time to keep my chops up. I sure do miss the days when the music was a 5-night-a-week thing for me.

http://www.jam-bone.org/bonezone.html

Again, please tell me what you think - I respect your opinion.

plumptone said:
Andy...such a sweet sound. I use strats and teles, but I also have a PRS. Mine's a CE-22, Love the thing, but I'm afraind to play it out too much - you know - smoky bars, beer, etc., etc. I love the versatility of the gtr, not to mention the incredible sustain its capable of.

Here's a link. There's a video of me playing with my band last summer at an outdoor gig. The sound quality is pretty miserable, and the video was recorded on a hand held camera, but you'll get the general idea. It's about half way down the page, ad you'll need to download (free) Flash8 to play it . Let me know what you think. I wish I was as good and polished as you, but having been relegated to the ranks of weekend warrior, I simply don't have enough time to keep my chops up. I sure do miss the days when the music was a 5-night-a-week thing for me.

http://www.jam-bone.org/bonezone.html

Again, please tell me what you think - I respect your opinion.

Hi plumptone,

Finally got a chance to listen to the clip - what a cool groove! No need at all to apologise about chops - you along with the rest of the band totally rock - tight playing too!

I used to play in a funk rock band, lots of ex-pro/high calibre musicians who made music for the joy of it (nothing to prove or aspirations of "making it"). Your band brought bank some positive memories. Two thumbs up! :mrgreen:

I loved the tones you were using, very funky - what was your signal chain?

Don'tya just love the way PRSs punch through the mix. I'm a big fan of the CE models. In many ways they contain my favourite sounds out of the PRS range, because they are a little snappier, a little brighter than the Customs etc - but then I'm a bolt on, strat type of guy. I ended up going for the Custom model, because I consciously wanted those thick twin humbucker tones in my arsenal. I wish I could justify owning a CE as well. :D

Big smiles,

Andy.

Thanks Andy. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

I do love the way the CE sounds. I'm also strictly a bolt-on kind of guy. My first guitar was a Fender, and that pretty much did it for me. I have a couple of strats and a tele., but for those gigs when I really want my playing to sing, there's really nothing better than the PRS. What's a really great about that guitar from my perspective, is its ability to capture the full on humbucker sound as well as cop a pretty good singler coil spank. To me its a great compromise between a strat and a LP, but with a little something extra (maybe just a vibe?) under the hood. I love the way it looks and feels too.

My signal chain for that gig was as follows:

GTR>tuner>dunlop wah>MXR dynacomp>MXR phase 90> DC-3.

FX send to digitech digital delay pedal>Boss chorus>midiverb rack>FX return.

Since then I have integrated a Q-Tron into the pedal board, and have made a couple other changes too.

For sounds from a gig we played a couple of weeks ago (if you are interested and have a couple of minutes) check this link:

http://www.jam-bone.org/sebastianos/sebastianos.htm

I used to live in the UK, by the way. I grew up around Newcastle, and went to school in the Lake District. Moved here to the US in 1981.

I don't know how I missed the discussion of PRS guitars in this thread. I'm a major PRS fan. My first was a '96 Scarlet Red CE with birds. I've added three to the fold since then.

Gotta see pics!!!!

PRSi4.JPG

L-R:

Dark Cherryburst Singlecut trem W/Graphtech Ghost Piezo system.
Platinum Tremonti SE with Dragon I bridge and #9 Neck pickups and TonePros AVT II bridge.
Scarlet CE22 with birds and a Graphtech Ghost Piezo system.
Royal Blue McCarty

I really liked the second vid. The solo was great, tone was great, and the PRS
looked amazing.

Keep it up.

-Al

plumptone said:
Thanks Andy. Your kind words mean a lot to me.

I do love the way the CE sounds. I'm also strictly a bolt-on kind of guy. My first guitar was a Fender, and that pretty much did it for me. I have a couple of strats and a tele., but for those gigs when I really want my playing to sing, there's really nothing better than the PRS. What's a really great about that guitar from my perspective, is its ability to capture the full on humbucker sound as well as cop a pretty good singler coil spank. To me its a great compromise between a strat and a LP, but with a little something extra (maybe just a vibe?) under the hood. I love the way it looks and feels too.

My signal chain for that gig was as follows:

GTR>tuner>dunlop wah>MXR dynacomp>MXR phase 90> DC-3.

FX send to digitech digital delay pedal>Boss chorus>midiverb rack>FX return.

Since then I have integrated a Q-Tron into the pedal board, and have made a couple other changes too.

For sounds from a gig we played a couple of weeks ago (if you are interested and have a couple of minutes) check this link:

http://www.jam-bone.org/sebastianos/sebastianos.htm

I used to live in the UK, by the way. I grew up around Newcastle, and went to school in the Lake District. Moved here to the US in 1981.

Hi plumptone,

Cool clips once more :D I was impressed by the slide playing and tone, and there were lots of cool ideas in your solos. Great stuff!

I love my PRS for similar reasons - giving more those fat humbucker Les Paul like tones, but with the playability, and the cut of a strat. The fact that they are so easy on the eye, is quite a bonus too. :p

Big smiles,

Andy.

redmax61 said:
I don't know how I missed the discussion of PRS guitars in this thread. I'm a major PRS fan. My first was a '96 Scarlet Red CE with birds. I've added three to the fold since then.

Gotta see pics!!!!

PRSi4.JPG

L-R:

Dark Cherryburst Singlecut trem W/Graphtech Ghost Piezo system.
Platinum Tremonti SE with Dragon I bridge and #9 Neck pickups and TonePros AVT II bridge.
Scarlet CE22 with birds and a Graphtech Ghost Piezo system.
Royal Blue McCarty

Hi redmax61,

Now that is a gorgeous collection of PRSs! :D Having trem and stoptail options for both your Singlecut and Doublecut guitars must be awesome. I've not had the opportunit to try the Singlecut Trem - I really like the idea though. How does it compare to your CE22 and your McCarty? Oh, and do you have a favourite? :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

alpepiman said:
I really liked the second vid. The solo was great, tone was great, and the PRS
looked amazing.

Keep it up.

-Al

Thanks Al,

for the kind words, and for taking the time to check out the clips. I'm thrilled that you liked the solo in "Still". I composed that before I got around to hearing the original (which I then discovered uses a different chord progression), and so my own solo has kinda stuck. :D

PRSs are rather easy on the eye, heh? Furthermore, PRSs into a Boogie must be the new classic combination. :p

Big smiles,

Andy.

Dann'sTheMan said:
Hi redmax61,

Now that is a gorgeous collection of PRSs! :D Having trem and stoptail options for both your Singlecut and Doublecut guitars must be awesome. I've not had the opportunit to try the Singlecut Trem - I really like the idea though. How does it compare to your CE22 and your McCarty? Oh, and do you have a favourite? :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

THANKS!!

The stop/trem and single/double cutaway thing happened completely by accident. But I like the fact that I have all the bases covered. I really like them all!

The SCT has the stock #6 pickups. I hear a lot of people complain that they are kinda thin sounding. However, when I play it through my Dual Rec, it has the perfect tone for bringing the punk.

The McCarty and CE are the fattest sounding of the 4. The CE actually has a bit more bite, but with the Dragon I being slightly hotter than the McCarty it makes for a really cool tone when downtuned. The McCarty just plain roars with authority!

The TSE has a slightly thinner tone than the two doublecuts do. It's because the body is all mahogany and is considerably lighter. But with the Dragon I, it holds its own very nicely.

Latest posts

Back