Vai For the love of god from an RKII anybody?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flavell777

Reaction score
Had the RKII for a couple of months now, channel 2 in Brit mode is giving me grief, i can get it to do the AC/DC thing but ideally i'd like a Vai For the love of god type tone. I can't get it to mellow out without loosing gain.
Any ideas anybody? or could i be looking in the wrong channel for this type of sound?

Any help would be great lads.

Cheers

D

You won't be able to get any Vai tones off of it. Trust me, I just saw Steve Vai play on saturday. I spent all of sunday trying to get his sound on my Roadster. Not even close. He uses a Carvin Legacy. Get it and some Dimarzio's.

I think he uses some EQ as well in addition to the amp to get his tone.

Thanks lads, i'm not really looking for his Legacy tone, i don't really rate his tone lately, much prefer the old marshall/solando tones he used back in the day. I am using Evolution pick ups though if that helps.

I have the EVO's too and I love them. Very responsive, smooth pickups. I have them in 2 JEMs and get a great tone from each guitar. THe RK2 seems to like them too. 8)

w
Flavell777 said:
Had the RKII for a couple of months now, channel 2 in Brit mode is giving me grief, i can get it to do the AC/DC thing but ideally i'd like a Vai For the love of god type tone. I can't get it to mellow out without loosing gain.
Any ideas anybody? or could i be looking in the wrong channel for this type of sound?

Any help would be great lads.

Cheers

D

If your looking for a smoother more mellow tone as you have described with the Gain still up there for sustain, try getting your tone controls set where you like it as far as the balance you want and then take the presence control and start @ noon, ask yourself if this sound is too harsh or "not mellow enough" and still retining the scream thing Vai has. If you want things tighter and and more focused, start turning it clockwise untill youve found where you like it and then back it off just a hair to give you a little more squish for feel and sustain. If noon is too harsh and edgy for your pickups and guitar, try backing it down counter clockwise untill youve foung that spot and then back it a hair like above. If you still cant seem to get the harshness out, try backing your mids off a touch and turning your presence clockwise to compensate. Also, if you are having a hard time hearing yourself @ this point try bring ing the treble up a hair. Your balance between the presence and mids are the key to the smoothness of the amp and the compressed feel of the strings. Also the more you turn the bottom end up, the more edge on your mids you will lose--but this can also be used to smooth out your tone-so maybe try using a little more or a lilttle less bass to help you tighten up your tone. :wink:

Back