v30's vs. c90's which speakers are for me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliff hetfield

Reaction score
i want warmth, tightness, and a clear well rounded sound.
have an f-50 head and i currently have those 12m70 celestions from the 80's that have a very scooped bassy sound.
i guess i want more clarity and overall balance, while retaining some of that thump.
i think im leaning toward the c90s only because the 30s ive heard had somewhat of a harsh high end to it. (which could mean the amp needed tweaking)
what are some of your opinions/experiences with these two types of speakers?
thanks!

(i decided to move this thread out of bass amps and cabinets) :D

My RK 4x12 cab has two of each in it (2 x V30 and 2 x C90). They are both good at what they do. Together they are great.

I've never thought of the V30s as harsh. Like you said, maybe the rig you heard needed tweaking. The V30s in my cab are much smoother and more velvety than the C90s.

But listen to them all and buy the cab you like best.

M

I have to agree with MasterTrax.

To add. The C90 (Black Shadow) in my RK 2x12 cab is too harsh, I don't know where people got the idea V30's are harsh sounding?.... I recorded them and V30's, IMO sound better. When together its a great sound. Warm V30's, Tight C90's.

Chiming in to say V30's are warm all around good speakers. They won't have the clarity or 'focus' of the C90 in my opinion but do have a clear well rounded tone that can handle insane low end.

Platypus said:
Chiming in to say V30's are warm all around good speakers. They won't have the clarity or 'focus' of the C90 in my opinion but do have a clear well rounded tone that can handle insane low end.

+1--The V30's are great for the nasty low ended stuff!! They have kind of a "warm-vintag-y" not as clear clean charactoristic when used for cleans which works great for what I need them for! :wink:

Correct me if I'm mislead ...

I don't know if I read here (this bulliten board) or somewhere else but I read MESA's C90 Celestion was based on Celestion G12-80s.

RR said:
Correct me if I'm mislead ...

I don't know if I read here (this bulliten board) or somewhere else but I read MESA's C90 Celestion was based on Celestion G12-80s.

Quite possible - I have a cab with G12K-85s, and the 90s are virtually identical, sonically speaking.

I prefer the 90s to the v30s - I, too, hear the "harshness" you speak of, although as they break in it goes away somewhat.

My 4x12 traditional cab is loaded with both, V30s on top and C90s on the bottom. Gotta love them both 8)

Back