V30 in Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bshizzle

Reaction score
I have a question about ohms.

I have a 16 ohm V30 that I want to try in my Mark IV combo.
If I run it into the 8 ohm jack, this will create a safe mismatch correct?

The only real effect on the sound should be slight volume loss right?

Thanks

You can use a V30 in your IV. You are correct, since it is 16ohms, plug it into the 8ohm jack.
But I wouldn't crank it too loud because the V30 is only a 60W speaker.

Also, most people prefer a V30 in a closed back cab, so I'm not sure how good it will sound....should not hurt anything to give it a try, though.

I have a 16/ V30 in mine. Most speakers and I know this is true of Celestions can take twice the power rating. They just do not last as long. I have been turning this combo up for 8 years. If you turn it up you are on your own.

stephen sawall said:
I have a 16/ V30 in mine. Most speakers and I know this is true of Celestions can take twice the power rating. They just do not last as long. I have been turning this combo up for 8 years. If you turn it up you are on your own.
85 watts is based on 5% distortion, from the MKIV manual : 'if you push the power section into clip, the wattage continues to rise peaking out at about double.'

170 watts into a 60 watt speaker is gonna blow it straight away. Be very careful !!

I have run it on 5 or 6 lots of times for hours at a time over the last 8 years. No problems at all.

But thanx for looking out.

how does it sound at those volumes? I would expect it to over-flub (my new word for the day)

Great for leads if you do not use to much gain.
But you are right.
The bottom well get out of control.
Up to about 4 works for rhythm playing in most cases.

Most of the time I use 2 thru 4.
Above that you need to change how you use the preamp.

Latest posts

Back