V-Twin High Gain Settings

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Insurrectionist

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a V-Twin at the end of this year (seeing as I'm too poor to buy a decent tube amp, especially a Mesa), so I have a couple of questions. But first, my setup is:

Gibson SG Special (Bare Knuckle Warpig pickup) --> Crybaby Wah --> Zoom G2 --> Line 6 Spider II

Now here are my questions. Will the V-Twin, in conjunction with my current equipment (I also plan on buying an Ibanez TS-9 for boost and an MXR KFK-1 10-Band EQ), be able to reproduce some good high gain sounds for style such as hardcore (Sworn Enemy, Hatebreed, Terror etc), death metal (Cannibal Corpse, Suffocation, Nile etc) and heavy metal (Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head etc)?

If so, can anyone recommend any settings they use?

Thanks in advance.

i have a V-Twin rack and i play in mostly hardcore/metal bands. you definitely need to boost it though as it lacks bite and umph. it can be a bit muddy. i tried boosting it with a tubescreamer, but couldn't get a sound i was happy with. now i just use a straight gain boost. it does the job.

IMO the v-twin isn't cut out for hardcore. it's a good pre, but not brutal enough' by itself.

I run a six band eq after my v twin, use the mid scoop happy face setting and I get pretty heavy tones out of my v twin...think Dream Theater and Metallica type distortion.

or alternativly,buy a tubescreamer I use the keeley baked modded one and it roars,just like a real recto

What I did for myself, if you have a crappy amp out there, you just use your pedal in a loop to increase the still existing distortion of your amp.

I had a Peavey Bandit which had a decent distortion, but not the one I wanted. So I took the V-Twin in the loop and put the pedal on the clean. I set the gain high so that the pedal overdrives just a bit and give that little more gain I needed. At the same time, the pedal acts as an EQ. And, how sweet it is, I had the gain settings ( because in the FX Loop, the gain switch role with the master... don't know why :? , so that the gain acted as a volume, and the master acted as a gain) below the amp's level. So that when I engaged the loop, the amp have the brutal rythm, and when the loop is removed, the sound is louder and.... a SOLO channel! So, I loved the pedal for that.

I've tried many thing with the pedal, i've tried to run it directly to a power amp, I've tried to run in front of an amp, and the loop seems to be be the best thing to use.

So, use the infos for yourself!

Have fun

What I did for myself, if you have a crappy amp out there, you just use your pedal in a loop to increase the still existing distortion of your amp.

I had a Peavey Bandit which had a decent distortion, but not the one I wanted. So I took the V-Twin in the loop and put the pedal on the clean. I set the gain high so that the pedal overdrives just a bit and give that little more gain I needed. At the same time, the pedal acts as an EQ. And, how sweet it is, I had the gain settings ( because in the FX Loop, the gain switch role with the master... don't know why :? , so that the gain acted as a volume, and the master acted as a gain) below the amp's level. So that when I engaged the loop, the amp have the brutal rythm, and when the loop is removed, the sound is louder and.... a SOLO channel! So, I loved the pedal for that.

I've tried many thing with the pedal, i've tried to run it directly to a power amp, I've tried to run in front of an amp, and the loop seems to be be the best thing to use.

So, use the infos for yourself!

Have fun

Latest posts

Back