Using Petrucci settings...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rika_gd

Reaction score
Well, so far I´m using the first settings for clean and crunch channel and the third channel with additional settings. Second channel for rythm and third for lead, everything sounds amazing, I didn´t gig with them already, but I had the time for practice at home at a medium volume and I can say that clean channel is so low compared to the others.. maybe raising the output will open a bit more this channel? Not sure cause I´m gonna blow the building if I try :lol: anyway, Anybody tried this???

Of course, master on ch1 is at noon, so I can crank it to level the others channels but in theory, this is how Petrucci gig, so maybe he´s using some kind of boost, maybe the solo of the amp that is cranked btw or I just have a a problem with my amp :evil:

More and more people keep coming forward about the volume problem on CH1.

It's so bad that I need to use the SOLO when I'm on the clean CH and then once in a while I forget to switch it off before going back to CH3. Thank God it hasn't happened at a gig yet.

You guys are killing me....

There's no channel imbalance if you turn the volume up. It's a professional piece of stage/studio gear, not a can't-wake-the-kids-at-night bedroom practice amp. It's designed to sound correct when played loud. Playing it quietly at home imbalances settings due to lack of compression. Once there's some heat on the tubes all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place.

screamingdaisy said:

There's no channel imbalance if you turn the volume up. It's a professional piece of stage/studio gear, not a can't-wake-the-kids-at-night bedroom practice amp. It's designed to sound correct when played loud. Playing it quietly at home imbalances settings due to lack of compression. Once there's some heat on the tubes all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place.

+1 and in addition, if you are playing at home or at low volumes, kick it down into 10 watt mode. You will saturate the two tubes (vs. four in 45/90) earlier and get some really great sounds at reasonable volume levels. I have never had a problem balancing the three channels this way. The 45/90 watt settings, IMHO, just don't sound great at low volumes. At low volumes in 45/90, I just don't think you are pushing the power tubes enough to sound really good. But that is the beauty of this amp, the options are all there, just match it up with the right situation.

screamingdaisy said:

You are killing me!

I dont play my Mark V at home. Only in a full Metal band setting...

Don't know then. I guess you're screwed. I dialled those Petrucci settings dialled into mine and I had to turn the clean volume down slightly.

screamingdaisy said:
Don't know then. I guess you're screwed. I dialled those Petrucci settings dialled into mine and I had to turn the clean volume down slightly.

And where do you set the output? I will try it again the next weekend, but with the output almost at noon. My MKV has no problems, I know there´s nothing wrong with it but if the output is at noon and channel 1 keep on sounding lower, then THERE IS something wrong. I hope that doesn´t happen!

Variables...lots of them....thats why threads have limited value...guitars,strings,pick ups, picks for that matter,cables,setups,and individual amps,tubes, rooms, it goes on and on. John P. uses a VOLUME PEDAL...I wonder why??????? :lol:

I set my clean channel at the loudest volume I am going to play at (Tweed)..and then go from there. since it is the lowest GAIN...It makes more sence to turn down the higher gain channels (at the channel masters) than try to turn up the lower gain channel 1. If you want to solve ALL the bal. problems get a volume pedal......

Same thing with me...dialed them in...turned downthe Channel1(fat) master volume and reduced gain a bit as well...
Output (Assuming your fx loop is engaged) is set at 9:00 for me...

I have mine set similarly to Petrucci's, and running a GMajor 2 through the effects loop. I don't seem to have this problem. I actually feel that I need to turn down my CH1 because it's almost too loud compared to 2/3!

One thing I was wondering...in some of the pics Petrucci has his Solo cranked all the way. I'm assuming he's not using it because I know that on mine, if I even turn it a hair above off, it is so freaking loud that I have to volume off immediately!

HeadlessAxeman said:

Same thing with me...dialed them in...turned downthe Channel1(fat) master volume and reduced gain a bit as well...
Output (Assuming your fx loop is engaged) is set at 9:00 for me...

well, I´m so fuckin´ screwed then, cause I set the output at 9, the rest is equal to petruccis settings and ch2 and 3 still above ch1..

Hendog said:
screamingdaisy said:

You are killing me!

If you're playing at band volumes, you should have no problem balancing out the channel volumes. Put the Master volume on each channel to a position that is ideal for your situation, and set the Output where you get a good volume for all 3 channels. Its not that hard. I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but have you read the manual? Thats the first thing I do when I get a new Boogie, and it really does help. Try the sample settings in the manual to see how to balance everything out.

I'm not trying to be a smartass too but have you read the post? we are discussing that some of us using the same settings are getting a lower volume in ch1 than the rest, and the others doesn´t, of course we can raise a little bit the master and problem resolved, but is frustrating that for some happens and for other not..

mystidream said:
Hendog said:
screamingdaisy said:

You are killing me!

If you're playing at band volumes, you should have no problem balancing out the channel volumes. Put the Master volume on each channel to a position that is ideal for your situation, and set the Output where you get a good volume for all 3 channels. Its not that hard. I'm not trying to be a smartass here, but have you read the manual? Thats the first thing I do when I get a new Boogie, and it really does help. Try the sample settings in the manual to see how to balance everything out.

I read the manual cover to cover BEFORE I even got the amp. I have to turn the CH1 master the whole way up to compensate and the CH3 master almost off and then my tone suffers.

Maybe there is something wrong with my amp.

rika_gd said:
Hendog, you do that for practicing at home or to gig with a band?

"You are killing me!

I dont play my Mark V at home. Only in a full Metal band setting..."

^^^ My quote from earlier in this thread...

Back