Using Behringer DI for speaker load???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

congalocke

Reaction score
Long story...want to hear my Boogie 20/20 and have a single 1X12. I was looking at my Behringer DI100 instructions say:

2.4 Tapping a signal from a power amplifier output

When no line out is available it is possible to connect an amplifier output directly to the DA100 (for example, recording direct from a guitar amplifier, TV-speaker, etc.) It is possible to connect the output, i.e. an extra speaker output, of up to 3000 Watts to the ULTRA-DI without fear of overloading. Pay attention to the two -20 dB buttons on the ULTRA-DI! Both must be depressed if an amplifier output is connected to the DI100 input.

Any reassuring words would be greatly appreciated before trying this manuever as I don't want to hurt the Boogie.

Getting rid of my 2:90 as I am old (back) and it weighs sooo much in my Boogie Shockmount that any litening (spe?) of the load will help for lugging it around.

Thanks in advance!
conga

Yes it does work, but you MUST STILL CONNECT THE SPEAKER. Don't ever run the tube amp without the correct load. Just getting the warnings out of the way. :)

The DI100 doesn't provide a load, it just 'senses' the voltage at the output and attenuates back down to an appropriate level for sending to a desk. This is why you still need to have a speaker (or equivalent load) connected to the output of the tube amp.

I'm not sure about the 20/20, but my DC2 has a slave out that I use with a similar DI box to the Behringer. I still keep the speaker connected so I can hear what is going on and the DI just sends the signal to the house PA.

Start with the two 20dB buttons pressed in, and if the level is too low, just un-press each, one at a time, until the level is where you need it to be.

It is unlikely you'll damage the DI box unless you crank the amp to maximum volume and run with no attenuation at all.

PipedWho,

Thanks for the response it helped greatly and I will just wait until I get the proper speaker load!
conga

No probs. If you don't want to use a speaker (and hear the amp's output), a dummy load like the THD Hotplate works well.

Latest posts

Back