USING AMPLITUDE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondering if anyone here uses amplitude or any other similar software to record with or even play live with. If so what interface are you using to get the guitar signal into the computer and any thoughts of getting the best out of the software.

I have a dual recto but at the moment work hours that dont allow for miking the amp to get recordings done so have to use the software and near fields.

Any info on what other people do would when in a similar situation, using software simulators or perhaps another alternative would be interesting to see if im getting the most out of what i have.

Thx

I'd recommend the Toneport. The hardware that it comes with is actually an external usb soundcard. Super low latency. If you get something like Amplitube you are going to have to get a good soundcard to go with it to keep the latency down.

from my personal experience- lose the Ampliturd! i've used the LE version, and the cpu intensive Ampliturd 2, and for my money the Sansamp PSA-1 plugin kicks Amplitube 2's butt and doesn't use a fraction of the cpu power.

Native Instruments Guitar Rig II is the same principal as ampliturd but far better... I think so anyway ... I always wanted something to record quick ideas and to shape out song parts before I commit a good few hours to setting up all the crap to record with the amps etc... ampliturd (well renamed by the way) never inspired me at all so I never used it anymore, but I find NI Guitar Rig so cool, the options and features are beyond control... You dont just get a few knobs to turn and switches, you get a blank window to build your own custom rig from guitar to mic ... the amount of tweek to go through is obscene if you want it to be... if you want 8 amps with 16 separate FX loops, its all at your fingers tips (if you got the CPU to run it at that level :? ) the amp models are about as good as it gets for software, never comparable to the real deal, but close enough to have a kick-*** tone for getting your songs together...

If you want, PM me your e-mail and I will send you a spectrum of clips to show you how it sounds...

I personally would go the POD route before I would softare. But I have heard some guys get some exceptionally good tones out of both Amplitube 2 and GuitarRig. The recording software that I use (tracktion2) came with Amplitube LE, and yes it sucks ***, but from what I understand is not comparable to Amplitube 2. Anyway, as far as latency goes, I have my monitors connected directly to my Firebox, so I am able to monitor anything at zero latency.

yeah, the hardware route (pod) is always easier initially but you can't beat the plugins for flexibility. i will always choose the software versions for that reason alone, every time. having said that, i would never gig with software. i think that anyone who is playing gigs with a laptop is very daring, to put it as nicely as possible.

I'm considering using Amplitube 2 and Amplitube Metal live on a MAC laptop.

I'm currently using a Triaxis, 2:90 and 3 Rocktron processors. I was thinking about running Amplitube on the MAC. Using a DigiDesign USB to Audio and MIDI interface and then running it to the 2:90 with my 2 1x12 Thiele cabs. All of it will be controlled by a Rocktron All Acccess MIDI Controller. That way I get the best of both worlds. The flexibility of Amplitube and the warmth and response of tubes.

I already tested it with my Dell XPS PC and it sounds really good.

I'm also considering using the StompIO as the USB to Audio and MIDI interface, but I like the layout of my Rocktron All Access as a MIDI controller better than the StompIO.

Thoughts?

i'd be leery of going USB route unless it is 2.0. don't forget- amplitube 2 is an absolute CPU hog! i hope your system is buff! again, i would never trust a computer software version for live playing. even the most stable of systems can lock up, crash, or whatever. if you really want to go this route, i'd recommend having an AB/Y box that is connected to some kind of backup system. that way if something happens w/the software rig mid-performance, you can kick in your backup system be it a POD or whatever. i'm strictly a desktop computer guy so i'm not up on laptop specs. i hope your laptop can run on it's own battery for the full length of your show, as here's another issue to think about- bars and clubs can have sketchy power supplies. you know- voltage that's too low or high. i'd feel safer running on internal power if i were to do something like this. good luck. you're very daring.

Latest posts

Back