Using all the same preamp tubes in Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
Does anyone here just use one brand of preamp tubes in their Roadster? Example, all Tung Sol's or JJ's, etc... I know most mix and match trying to get the ultimate tone out of their amp.
I have been trying this for a while and have decided that it is taking way too much time and focus from my playing. Stevie Ray Vaughn could have played out of a 10 watt Gorilla amp and made it sound great, right?
With that being said, what brand of preamp tubes have people had good luck with. My high gain tone is absolutely important, but I also play light to mid gain stuff too.

Thanks for all of your input

I use 5 Electro Harmonix in my Triaxis.
Same as you I don't have time for testing all possible combinations...
These 5 tubes give me a good tone, a lot of gain, maybe too much, it's impossible to push gain and drive to full range, very high gain tone is obtained with settings like 6/10. And they are very quiet !

+1 for the EH preamp tubes. For a simple and highly effective retube you can't go wrong. Shoot for a high gain tested for V1 and a balanced one for your driver possition.

The M/B 'Russian 2' is a gain/noise tested EH 12AX7. I understand new Boogies now ship with Chinese 12ax7's, any opinions on them anyone ?

I can't stand the new chinese M/B tubes. My Triple came with 4 of them and 1 Russian in the p/i slot. It constantly sounded like i was playing on the neck pick-up through an old hendrix fuzz pedal. My amp now has all russian tubes in it of different brands and sounds much clearer, tighter and no fuzz.

Latest posts

Back