Using a combo with a cab - Do I disconnect the speaker?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, you don't have to disconnect the combo's speaker, as long as you will not be using two 4ohm speakers.

If you have the stock 8ohm speaker (i.e. EV or C90), it is perfectly fine to also connect another 8ohm speaker, or another cabinet with multiple speakers that have a total impedence of 8 OHMs or greater. (You may be able to use an external cab with 4ohms with your 8ohm speaker, but I wouldn't chance it myself - your overall impedance would be 2.67ohms which may be too low for the amp).

You can even hook up a 4x12 cab to your combo as long as it's impedance is 8 ohms or more.

If you end up purchasing an external cab that is 8ohms, you simply have to move the combo's speaker cable from the amp's 8ohm jack to its 4ohm jack. Then you'd plug your external cabinet into the amp's second 4ohm jack. Power the amp on and enjoy your nice fill sound.

Btw - A Thiele sounds cab makes a Mark combo sound much fuller - the closed back/ported Thiele adds some nice thump, yet the combo's open back speaker still cuts through the mix well. It's a very nice combination, plus it brings your combo amp up closer to ear level.

I was looking at the Thiele. How would I go about connecting that up then?

It's 8 ohm right? So I'd move the Mark IV speaker to 4 Ohm, then connect the Speaker to the 8ohm input?

Herbie the Rad Dorklift said:

I was looking at the Thiele. How would I go about connecting that up then?

Hook the Mark IV's speaker (currently plugged in 8ohm) up to one of the 4ohm jacks, and plug the Thiele into the other 4ohm jack.

Don't want to hijack thread, but along the same lines. I've got a MKIV head. What's the Ohm factor if I run 3 8-ohm cabs? One from the 8 ohm output and 1 each from the 4 ohm outputs? I've got a Theile, open back 90 and am thinking about getting a 2X12 cab. (that would be a potential outdoors setup). I like using an extra cab for a monitor amyways.

The two 4 OHM jacks are wired in parallel, at least from what I've read. The 8 OHM jack is by itself.

This means if you have three 8 OHM speakers, they will work if you plug them all into the jacks. When you put the two speakers into the two 4 OHM jacks, the resistance in that parallel circuit is 4 OHMS. If you had only two cabinets at 8 OHMS, you would have to plug them both into the 4 OHM jacks.

If you had an 8 OHM and a 4 OHM cabinet, they would both be plugged into the jacks with the corresponding values.

If you had two 4 ohm cabinets... you'd have to have some ingenuity to wire it all up the right way...

aNOTHER QUESTION; WHICH SPEAKER WOULD i MIC UP LIVE IF i WAS USING THE THEILE WITH MY COMBO?

Alas, I used caps, I didn't mean to but I'm not going back to change it now :p

...You need to mic a MKIV with two speakers going...? Since when is it not loud enough by itself :p

WHICH SPEAKER WOULD i MIC UP LIVE IF i WAS USING THE THEILE WITH MY COMBO?

Whichever one sounds best to you, of course . :lol:

I use a Thiele with my Mark IV combo and mic both speakers sometimes. if I have to mic only one, I usually mic the openback - that was my sound guys preference - I think it cuts through the mix a little better. btw - both of my speakers are EV's.

ketiov said:
aNOTHER QUESTION; WHICH SPEAKER WOULD i MIC UP LIVE IF i WAS USING THE THEILE WITH MY COMBO?

Alas, I used caps, I didn't mean to but I'm not going back to change it now :p

...You need to mic a MKIV with two speakers going...? Since when is it not loud enough by itself :p
You mean play a gig without micing it up?

Yuck :x

Latest posts

Back