using a 2x15 with a mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustinK

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a old bass cab that is loaded with 2 ev 15s. I know that Mark Tremonti uses a 2x15 cab and some older boogies came with a 15 option. What do you guys think of them? Also because its a bass cab will that make a problem?

I've got a 1x15" Mark I and it's absolutely superb. I'd even go so far as to say I prefer 15" speakers to 12". The bass that they produce is so natural and tight, it's unlike anything else. Seriously cool stuff - go for it!

zebpedersen said:
I'd even go so far as to say I prefer 15" speakers to 12". The bass that they produce is so natural and tight, it's unlike anything else.
Ditto, I use a 15" Eminence Commonwealth (JBL D130 clone) with my Mark IV and it sounds even better then the two Thiele EVM-12L's I was using.

You must do this... it is my secret weapon. I bought Steve Miller's mesa 1x15 w/ EV speaker when he was unloading a ton of gear at the local music store. I can now no longer leave the house without it. If I need one cab with my Mark IV this is the one I use. If I need more I use a Recto 4x12 or Recto 2x12 to compliment it. I wish Mesa still made these cabs. It's like they were made for the Mark series amps.

Mesa's sound sick as hell with 15's. My bottom cab is a Randall 2x12/1x15 with an emenince legend 15 and it thumps like hell. I take this cab over my 4x12 celestion cab when i commute to buddy's to jam.

I actually conversed recently with Tien about getting a hardwood 1x15" cab made to match my Mark I; they haven't been made since 1980 apparently - a real shame.

ok

now the only question is if it is rated at 4 ohms, can i run it with my
8ohm 4x12? I know i read somewhere that the output transformer is divided in the mark III so would it be possible to run the 4x12 in the 8
ohm out and the 2x15 in a 4?

Running the 215 through the 4 ohm jack and the 412 through the 8 ohm jack is fine. If you were to put another cabinet into the other 4 ohm jack though, it wouldn't work out well.

zebpedersen said:
Wouldn't that make total load 3 ohms?

Actually 2.6666666666667 ohms :shock: .

The safe way would be to re-wire the 2x15 cab in "series" to provide a 16 ohm load and hook it up as per example #7 on page 15 of this users manual.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark1%20Reissue.pdf

JOEY B. said:
zebpedersen said:
Wouldn't that make total load 3 ohms?

Actually 2.6666666666667 ohms :shock: .

The safe way would be to re-wire the 2x15 cab in "series" to provide a 16 ohm load and hook it up as per example #7 on page 15 of this users manual.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark1%20Reissue.pdf
Only the 4 ohm tabs are wired in parallel. The 8 ohm tab is on it's own, meaning it doesn't matter what you plug into the 4 ohm jack - the 8 ohms doesn't get affected. The speakers are only in parallel if you run two through the 4 ohm jacks, which is why you're supposed to run two 8 ohm cabinets through those if you need to use them.

Just plug the 4 ohm speaker into 4 ohms and 8 ohm speaker into 8 ohms.

ketiov said:
Only the 4 ohm tabs are wired in parallel. The 8 ohm tab is on it's own, meaning it doesn't matter what you plug into the 4 ohm jack - the 8 ohms doesn't get affected. The speakers are only in parallel if you run two through the 4 ohm jacks, which is why you're supposed to run two 8 ohm cabinets through those if you need to use them.

Just plug the 4 ohm speaker into 4 ohms and 8 ohm speaker into 8 ohms.

I am fully aware of the two taps coming from the OT, and the hardwire parallel connection at the 4 ohm speaker jacks. My Sylvania power tubes are like gold to me, so I tend to err on the side of caution. To each their own for speaker connections :wink: .

cool thanks guys.

I am either getting this or an old vertical 2x12. I would like to get the 15s but i don't know if i could justify paying 200 more because this is just for
small jams.

Latest posts

Back