URGENT!! MESA DUAL RECTIFIER PROBLEM

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escalates77

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm in a band and we have a show tonight and i have a big problem. I have a Dual Rectifier 3 Channel..and yesterday i went to turn it on to play and it turned on fine and everything..and then like 2 minutes later..i looked at the amp again and it was off..so i flipped the switch again and it wouldn't come on at all!! nothing happens when i try to turn it on now...no light, none of the tubes light up..nothing! i tried a different power cord and that didn't work and i tried a different outlet and that didn't work. I really hope it's only a bad fuse or something? PLEASE HELP! Thanks everyone

Just pull the fuse and take it to your music store or radio shack and get a few just like it. Hopefully, it was just a one time thing. If it was NOT a one time thing, you may have other problems....

It is possible that you have a tube going bad, and that's what shorted the fuse out in the first place.

If thats the case, get a bunch of fuses (they're cheap) and change out your tubes one by one until you find the bad boy. Or, if you can spring for the bucks, now may be a good time to retube.

Good Luck

RB

okay thank god, i was hoping it wasn't anything really serious...okay so i need to get a new fuse...is that it? or do i need to get new tubes also?

Escalates77 said:
okay thank god, i was hoping it wasn't anything really serious...okay so i need to get a new fuse...is that it? or do i need to get new tubes also?

As Red said, blown fuses are sometimes a symptom of a bigger problem, like tubes.

If you're gigging it never hurts to keep a spare set of tubes with you.

The fuse may be it....the info on the tubes was given just for your information. Whenever I have an amp that keeps blowing fuses, it has usually turned out to be a tube that was the culprit. Like I said, hopefully this is just a one time thing, and the fuse will cure you.

If it keeps blowing fuses, you have to look at the tubes.

RB

Okay, thanks a lot guys, seriously i was like freaking out because we have a gig tonight and i need my MESA haha

If it makes you feel any better, I had a fuse blow in the last song of the first set on a recent gig. (no spare at the time, different story) I changed it out the next day and I have not had a single problem since. It could have been a power problem. I am not saying it's not a tube, but it my case it wasn't. Hopefully you wil get lucky.

Yeah, i just went to my local music store and bought 4 JJ 6L6 power tubes and 4 fuses so i'm praying that it's gonna fix it

We expect a full gig report with pictures and all! Oh ya, also a tone report on those JJ's!

Well, bad news guys...i had to use my Peavey 5150II at the show because my Mesa still didn't work after changing the fuse and swapping out the power tubes...it basicly just kept blowing the fuse, i would put a new fuse in and it would light up for a second and that was it..i took the fuse out and it was blown..so i definitley think there's something internally wrong with it, so i took it in to the local music shop the services mesa, and now i'm waiting for their call to tell me a quote on how much it's gonna be to fix my baby

PS: the show whent really good anyways though..but i just wished i could have used my mesa

Possibly a bad capacitor. I'd be interested in your update to see if that's the problem.

(basing this on an instance when I had dried out 30 year old caps in an old Fender Deluxe)

RB

Alright well here's the update on everything, first of all I FIXED MY MESA! it turns out all it was, was a bad rectifier tube that was making the fuse blow, so i now have JJ 6L6GC power tubes in it and JJGZ34 rectifier tubes in it and let me tell you, WOW! with these tubes..there is a lot more clarity, it doesn't sound as mushy, and i have more thump now! (low end) Its exactly what i needed for my mesa, anyways..our band is recording demo's for our upcoming EP this saturday, so after that they will be posted on our bands myspace, so you all can check the songs out, i will be using my mesa for the recordings of course, so you can hear the amp in action. Thanks everyone again for your help!

Back