Upgrade older Lonestar to 10 W Class A

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 16727

Reaction score
Hello -

this might be one for the owners of an older Lonestar :

Is there a possibility to upgrade an old Lonestar (50 / 100 Watt) to an newer one (10 / 50 / 100 Watts) ?

And, by the way - does anybody know, when this change in the circuit was done ?

Thanks -
Harry

The ten watt section was added sometime in 2007. To be honest I never use the feature (only tried it out when I bought it) and run mine 50w on both channels. I can get a pretty good sound even at low volumes. Also, footswitching when the distortion channed was on 10w and the clean channel was on 50w resulted in a very loud (and annoying) pop.

I investigated this a bit, and the skinny is that basically it implies a full board swap. A significant upgrade, as it changes the power structure on a fundamental level, in places where the existing circuit has been hard-wired (or printed, actually) to do one thing rather than two. It's major, and maybe more trouble/$$$ than it's worth.

Someone else called Mesa about this, and they said basically the same thing. You can always call them yourself too, they're quite nice. Personally, I don't think I'm missing too much with my 50/100... but if it were easy for my tech to do, I'd have him do it without hesitation.

Latest posts

Back