Lonestar mod to add 5 Watt mode?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freshmex18

Reaction score
I inherited a Mesa Lonestar a while back and it's one of the old ones that does not have a 5 watt mode. Was wondering if that is something that can be added after the fact or if that is only available to the newer models. Can it be done?

I am assuming you are referring to a regular Lonestar, and not a Lonestar Special? The Version 2 Lonestar has a 10 watt mode, not a 5 watt mode. I don't think there is an easy way to add that functionality, as it involves some interesting wiring tricks that enable a push pull output transformer to create a Class A single ended mode. There are a lot of relays in the design involved in the switching to this mode, which don't exist in the Version 1 PCB.

I am assuming you are referring to a regular Lonestar, and not a Lonestar Special? The Version 2 Lonestar has a 10 watt mode, not a 5 watt mode. I don't think there is an easy way to add that functionality, as it involves some interesting wiring tricks that enable a push pull output transformer to create a Class A single ended mode. There are a lot of relays in the design involved in the switching to this mode, which don't exist in the Version 1 PCB.
That makes sense. Since I didn't pay anything for the amp, I was willing to drop some money into modding it if that was an option. Oh well. A volume pedal in the effects loop helps bring things to bedroom level fine enough.

That makes sense. Since I didn't pay anything for the amp, I was willing to drop some money into modding it if that was an option. Oh well. A volume pedal in the effects loop helps bring things to bedroom level fine enough.
Welcome to the forum.

Your Output control should work exactly the same, unless you’re looking for something to do volume swells. The FX loop and the Output control are both located right before the power amp section of the amplifier.

Good luck with your new Boogie, enjoy!

Dom

Welcome to the forum.

Your Output control should work exactly the same, unless you’re looking for something to do volume swells. The FX loop and the Output control are both located right before the power amp section of the amplifier.

Good luck with your new Boogie, enjoy!

Dom
The Output knob does do that but it goes from barely audible to way too loud to play when others are asleep with the tiniest adjustment. I had to adjust the Output knob to just after it the barely audible and then add a volume pedal to bring it down further so I can play and not wake people up. It is a kickass amp though. The volume is my only complaint

Howdy

Used to struggle with home levels - bought finally Torpedo Captor X after some other attenuators left me a bit wanting.

While playing thru the cab I use -36db attenuation and the tone is good. When situation calls the Captor has also cab sim/IR loader with phones out 👍

Kinda everything i needed in one box 😁 and also has DI out to PA

On the topic of 5 Watt mode... the LSS 5W mode is pretty darn sweet. I hadn't been using it much early on, if at all thinking it was just not going to cut it live. But recently have gone to it on Ch 2. There is a content to it for single note work that is, dare I say "special". The manual goes on about the "single ended, 2nd harmonic, subtle" I'm not sure if that is what I'm hearing but it's simply fun to use nonetheless. Have to crank the channel master but for the smaller venues it's been good enough.

On the topic of 5 Watt mode... the LSS 5W mode is pretty darn sweet. I hadn't been using it much early on, if at all thinking it was just not going to cut it live. But recently have gone to it on Ch 2. There is a content to it for single note work that is, dare I say "special". The manual goes on about the "single ended, 2nd harmonic, subtle" I'm not sure if that is what I'm hearing but it's simply fun to use nonetheless. Have to crank the channel master but for the smaller venues it's been good enough.
5 watt mode in the LSS is where the real secret sauce is. When you crank it up and it goes into awesome hard rock meltdown. I love that setting.

Howdy

Used to struggle with home levels - bought finally Torpedo Captor X after some other attenuators left me a bit wanting.

While playing thru the cab I use -36db attenuation and the tone is good. When situation calls the Captor has also cab sim/IR loader with phones out 👍

Kinda everything i needed in one box 😁 and also has DI out to PA
Captor X saved my marriage! Joking but it's the most useful tool I have ever purchased and you get an outstanding recording interface and cabinet sims and much more with it. I have obtained IR's for it that duplicate the speakers in my combo and it amazes me how accurate they are.

Back