***UPDATED***Video demo "Keep the camera or take it back"

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teletalkin

Reaction score
Hello fellow "Boogers"! I just picked up a mini HD camera but I'm not sure if the built in mic is any good. Here is a quick demo just to hear what it records like. The lighting is terrible but was more concerned with the audio. Not sure if I should just get one of them portable recorders like Tascam and do audio clips not videos??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYTQmpgwH_E

***UPDATE***

Here is another camera that I believe the audio sounds better. Cost less too.....let me know which demo sounds better!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y06PxHs773I

The quality for a camera is good. Your playing is phenominal

HOWEVER, you need to get some kind of recording setup.

I'd love to hear what you could do with a recording setup

I run a relatively cheap setup.

1. For a mic an SM57. 100$ new, seen them as low as 60 used. Are they the best? probably not. But no mic has recorded more guitar on profesional albums then the SM57. So I went with it simply because if the tone sucked, I knew I couldn't blame the mic.

2. I have a Tascam DP01, cost like 250$. No built in preamp so I use a presonus tube pre. They don't make these anymore but the DP02CF is 299$ and comes with a built in preamp, so no preamp needed.

3. On the PC I run Reaper which has a 60$ licence. The demo is fully functional so check it out.

4. For drums I use the basic setup from toon tracks ez drummer from within reaper.

Get you a real bass or use the free 4front bass vst with reaper and you are good to go.

No it won't be profesional quality, but it's a home studio.

My typical recording process goes like this

1.Use Reaper and EZ drummer to create a drum line.

2.Using Reaper I render the drum line to a stereo wave file

3.I use the free software audacity to split the stereo file into two seperate mono files (left and right)

4.Over USB I transfer the wave files to the tascam, and assign the left mono track to track 1 and the right mono track to track 2 and pan them hard left and right.

5.From there use the tascam and record bass and guitar.

6. Export the bass and guitar as a wave file back to the computer.

7. Open the project I created the drums in and add the bass and guitar

8. Mix and apply effects

That's it

Thanks Primal for the suggestions. I might just keep the camera for a bit to see if I can find the right placement/distance from the amp to make decent enough demos.

I think the tones are good and the playing is great.
The second video was a bit fizzy like the input was overloading a bit.

Maybe experiment with some dense foam mic covers or as you suggested, get further away. I would think an HD camera would have some way to set the input volume level. Maybe just dropping it down a bit might help. Unless the SPL's are just too much for the mic itself. Then your best bet is to experiment with mic filters to see if you can attenuate the volume without coloring the sound too much.

I look forward to future videos.
Can I request more guitar in the frame and less amp/pedals.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back