Two Channel, Dual Rec. Build!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. Keep us updated. I saw those boards on ebay and Ive been wodering about them. The IIC+ boards also. Good Luck!

So are you sourcing the parts from a single source or are you just ordering everything as you go?

I've acquired most parts for the board from Mouser. Some I've had on hand for repairs and other builds, and the rest needed to be ordered as I went. I've found that the Vishay CCF60 metal film resistors that Mesa uses and what you see in my build, are really great resistors. I've adopted them into many of my repairs. They are actually closer to a 3/4 watt rating than 1/2watt. They almost look like carbon comps as well.
I chose the Epcos "boxed" polyester caps for their size and rating in the hopes that they will help keep noise, and "cross-talk" to a minumum between components. Hughes and Kettner and Traynor use these caps..and while not all amps they make blow me away, there a few that sound really great.

Huh very interesting. I thought about doing the same build you are doing, but wasn't sure if it was as simple as ordering the parts that were printed on the board. I am pretty handy with a soldering iron but am not the greatest at readin a schematic. Doesn't seem like to big of a headache.

Well....yes and no.
The board stuffing is relatively easy. However, there are some through holes on the board that I had to ream out slightly in order for the thickness of the component lead to fit-mostly on the electrolytic caps. You have to be careful during this operation as not to ruin the via or through hole to the other side of the board, as this will cut the line to any traces it connects to on the bottom side of the board.
Also, voltages are not given for many of the disc capacitors, so you'll have to refer to the schematic to know how much voltage headroom you'll need on that particular part. You may not need to use a 1kv or 600vdc cap in the feedback loop...in fact usually 100v or 200v will do for security.
After all this, you'll need to know where to put all the parts that aren't on the board, that are in the schematic, to the right sockets/pots/switches..etc.
Not sure if you've built an amp before..if so you might be familiar with all this anyway.

Where'd you get the small yellow capacitors? I've never been able to find out what they are. Tantalum, I think? They're used in the Cathode Bypass positions, etc.

Yes, they are tants. Mesa uses low values, for the most part, so this keeps the cost low on these guys. These are also available from Mouser. My catalog isn't next to me, which is rare, so I don't remember the series off hand.
Another hard to get component, for those who endeavor to do so, are the 715 Sprauge orange drops in 400v rating. The 600's are way to big for this board. Mesa uses 400v rating on these. You'll find the higher voltage rating everywhere, but not the 400v.

AudioMonk said:
Yes, they are tants. Mesa uses low values, for the most part, so this keeps the cost low on these guys. These are also available from Mouser. My catalog isn't next to me, which is rare, so I don't remember the series off hand.
Another hard to get component, for those who endeavor to do so, are the 715 Sprauge orange drops in 400v rating. The 600's are way to big for this board. Mesa uses 400v rating on these. You'll find the higher voltage rating everywhere, but not the 400v.

Really? I've seen 600V orange drops in all Mesa's I've seen. Maybe this board wasn't designed to take caps that big. BTW, in what positions are you using Carbon Comp's in? Are they in the same places as production Recto's?

First to answer Monsta. The resistors are the Vishay Dale CCF60 series, 3/4 watt, not the CCF50's. The tants are Vishay Type 173D.
Hey Photi. When you say "seen" do you mean you looked under the silicon that's between the caps and read the voltage rating? I'm also just commenting on Dual and Triple Mesa amps. Many people who see the big orange caps just assume they are 630V because that's what the suppliers sell. Every Triple and Dual I've worked on has used 400v 715P series caps. The inter-stage voltages are such in these amps that over a 400v cap is not needed. The use of 400v caps keeps cost lower and saves board space. You can fit the 400's on this board. I didn't use them because I didn't want to stock up on caps I already have the same value of for repairs on other amps. The Epcos are cheaper, and are proven in several popular amps designs, and gives more space between components.
Mesa initially used carbon comp resistors where 1 or 2 watt values were needed on the board(Early 90's). Then they went to metal oxide, and on to these skinny black wirewound resistors for which I'd have to look up the series. Some of the values for the Vishay CCF60, that Mesa originally used carbon comps for, was due to how much volume you could order of values that people didn't commonly use. As the years went on, Mesa replaced the carbon comps and blue metal films, for which they didn't stock the CCF60's for at that time. You'll still see blue metal films in different Mesa amps across the product line. I used carbon comp and blue metal films in various spots because I would have had to order 5,000 of certain less common values to get them from Mouser.

AudioMonk said:
First to answer Monsta. The resistors are the Vishay Dale CCF60 series, 3/4 watt, not the CCF50's. The tants are Vishay Type 173D.
Hey Photi. When you say "seen" do you mean you looked under the silicon that's between the caps and read the voltage rating? I'm also just commenting on Dual and Triple Mesa amps. Many people who see the big orange caps just assume they are 630V because that's what the suppliers sell. Every Triple and Dual I've worked on has used 400v 715P series caps. The inter-stage voltages are such in these amps that over a 400v cap is not needed. The use of 400v caps keeps cost lower and saves board space. You can fit the 400's on this board. I didn't use them because I didn't want to stock up on caps I already have the same value of for repairs on other amps. The Epcos are cheaper, and are proven in several popular amps designs, and gives more space between components.
Mesa initially used carbon comp resistors where 1 or 2 watt values were needed on the board(Early 90's). Then they went to metal oxide, and on to these skinny black wirewound resistors for which I'd have to look up the series. Some of the values for the Vishay CCF60, that Mesa originally used carbon comps for, was due to how much volume you could order of values that people didn't commonly use. As the years went on, Mesa replaced the carbon comps and blue metal films, for which they didn't stock the CCF60's for at that time. You'll still see blue metal films in different Mesa amps across the product line. I used carbon comp and blue metal films in various spots because I would have had to order 5,000 of certain less common values to get them from Mouser.

Great answer sir! Mesa has indeed changed the ingredients of their amps frequently. I own a Mark III that has 600V 715P's. I guess the newer amps have the 400V ones. All the 1/2 watt resistors were blue metal film, 2%, save for one or two 1/2 watt carbon comp's here and there. The 1 and 2 watt resistors are a mix of 5 and 10% carbon comp's, and caps under 1000pF are ceramic discs. Earlier amps used 5% tan metal films, and 1/2 watt dales from place to place. I've seen carbon comp's still used as screen grid resistors in newer amps, and wirewound for cathode resistors in the Mark V, and LSS.

Oh well, back to your build, how are things coming along?

I just found this. This project is awesome. Thanks for posting your progress. Please keep the info coming. Checked out your site as well. Thanks again..

Latest posts

Back