tweed vs. full?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyg121

Reaction score
could someone explain to me the tonal differance in using tweed vs full power on the mark 4.

On the tweed setting the attack of the notes is 'looser" sounding .
Not as "in your face" . 'Specially at higher settings .
Get's mooshy , loses definition .

what are the settings that cater to pinch harmonics easily flying out of the amp?

less power, more compressed
more power, more dynamics

compression will help the harmonics, but it depends on your guitar and pickups.

Droping your wall voltage to 95v makes your plate voltage drop which mean's your headroom will be much lower,your tone will be more compressed and squashy..it also means your power tubes will live longer..

Sounds good to me!

Mike B told me that the function of the tweed was to drop the input signal by 20% or so, not drop the voltage of the transformer.

dmt said:
Mike B told me that the function of the tweed was to drop the input signal by 20% or so, not drop the voltage of the transformer.

You must have misunderstood him. Or he was mistaken.

Cutting the input signal by 20% or so can be accomplished by lowering the "gain" knob. Or your guitar's volume knob.

I would think that he was referring to the AC input voltage coming from the wall, as the fan speed is lower on tweed. If the voltage affected the pre only, the fan speed would not change. The switch is definately a global power switch.

Shep said:
mike may have said input voltage by 20%.. That sounds right..????

yeah.. whoops... meh. I have a real variac and I've used that before to tame a hot voltage line...

When the mk IV first came out , I called Mike and we had a classic phone discussion about the amp and it's features .
When I asked about the tweed power switch and incorparating(sp?) it's function into the mk III he said something like :"nah , different pt . , Its got a lower voltage tap, just buy a 4 ...." :lol:
Then said the judicious use of a variac would approximate it's effect .
There were many other topics discussed , it was years ago , but I remember upon hanging up (after nearly an hour !), thinking how amazing it was and how it was like talking to my brother as opposed to some "Amp company rep ".

I compare all customer service to Mesa Boogie , Those folks are top of the heap .

:D

phyrexia said:
dmt said:

You must have misunderstood him. Or he was mistaken.

Cutting the input signal by 20% or so can be accomplished by lowering the "gain" knob. Or your guitar's volume knob.

Well the preamp tubes are also affected by tweed mode and 117->95 is a 20% drop so I think you're both right!

Latest posts

Back