tweed variac switch mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1701

Reaction score
I've just joined the board. I own a 1990 50.+ head which I love. But it's a little too strident. Does anyone know what exactly the tweed switch is? I'd like to mod my amp to use it. I kinda thought the eq switch (which I don't use) could be rewired in some way.

It switches in a lower voltage tap on the power transformer, hence lowering the voltages about 100V or so and acting like a Variac. You have to have the right transformer as well.

Another solution would be to get a Japan voltage converter for about $30 for a 500 watt unit. This would drop the voltage down to 100volts without modding the amp.

Greg

Voltage converter? Are they readily available? Also would that give me that "tweedy" effect? Is it as simple a process as dropping voltage? Or is there some extra trick involved?

http://www.voltageconverters.com/japan_voltage.html

Here's where i bought mine. The 500 watt is plenty for your amp but the one i bought came with a 2 prong wall plug and I had to add a three prong. The 1000 watt converter comes with a 3 prong plug stock.

The tweed switch is not an "effect" it just lowers the voltage to the amp. Like the bold and spongy switch on a rectifier head.

Greg

cool. I understand now. But is there a marked difference? Does it really feel 'spongier' or is it all hype?

Latest posts

Back