Tweed Effect vs Tube Rectifier Effect

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultramog

Reaction score
So, my understanding is that Tweed reduces power section headroom by reducing voltage -- does the tube rectifier result in the same effect or something different? It think I hear a greater difference switching from full AC to Tweed than from diodes to tube rectifier. Maybe Tweed effects the 12AX7s too?

Anybody have thoughts on this? How about tone-wise -- should I be using these to smooth out some pointy high-mids? This is a LSC v.2...

They're similar but different -- the manual actually describes it best, I forget what it says exactly though. I'd say that both their effects and differences are more pronounced as volume goes up, so try them out at band levels if you're really curious.

I'd say I find Tweed useless at anything over moderate levels because it slushes things up too much for my taste, but that's just me. I've generally used the tube rectifier to soften things up a little most of the time, until recently when having a solid attack at high volume has become more important to me.

Can't say either would really smooth out any spiky high mids, but again that could be a volume thing. The amp doesn't really come alive -- and smooth out those breakup harmonics -- until you're up above living room levels... not sure where you're doing most of your listening, so forgive me if that sounds pedantic. Preamp tubes can also make a big difference here.

Latest posts

Back