Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 in V1 of Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfisher3380

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just picked up a used Mark IV combo and have been spending some time trying to get it "dialed in". A real tweaker's amp! Anyways, I've read good things about a Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7 in V1 of this amp and I think that may give me just the right amount of growl to the OD in R2 channel that I'm trying to achieve - however when I tried to put one in there it didn't seem that it would fit without possibly scratching and ruining the tube. It seems that the Tung-Sol is of a slightly wider diameter than the Mesa tubes as well as many other 12ax7's that I have. The metal protective housing for V1 seems a bit too narrow to accomodate it. Anyone else have this experience? I have read of people using this tube in V1 of a Mark IV so there must be something I can do!

Thanks a lot!

I have used them in a couple Mesa amps and have had no problems at all.

Yes I've used them in my Stiletto Ace with no problem but the protective housing for the tubes in that amp clearly accomodates it. I'm specifically speaking of V1 in the Mark IV - just doesn't seem to fit because the housing is narrow and the TungSol seems to be a particurlarly thick/wide tube...

I encountered the larger bottle Tung Sols about a month ago. To make a long story short, per Mike Matthews, they had to increase the bottle size in order to problem solve noise issues that they have been having with the later production (small bottle) 12ax7's.

For what it's worth, the larger bottle 12ax7's sound great.

HipKitty said:
I encountered the larger bottle Tung Sols about a month ago. To make a long story short, per Mike Matthews, they had to increase the bottle size in order to problem solve noise issues that they have been having with the later production (small bottle) 12ax7's.

For what it's worth, the larger bottle 12ax7's sound great.

I agree they sound great - just wish they could fit into V1 of the Mark IV...using them in V2-V4...

i face the exact same situation with you
the reissues just doesnt fit the v1 slot

anyway what tube are using for V1?

do you find any improvement after retubing the rest of the section v2 to v4 with the tungsols?

Try a vintage Tung-Sol, you might have to try a few to find a particularly non-microphonic one, nothing to lose but time and money, the REAL Tung Sol tone is wonderful clean and dirty. Worth the effort.

I installed it in my Mesa DC 10 in VI/Peavey Classic 50 V1 w/ no problem.

Old thread revamping. My Tung Sol doesn't fit either in my Mark IV. :? What did you guys do? Leave it open?

Back