Tuneing my Road King II for more definition on channel 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gearHead said:
chris_EIT said:
Ok, I'm biased, BUT after playing through a Triple rectifier and a road king, I find definition is something left best to the Mark series amps, I know though that the roadking will do the tones of the bands you mentioned maybe a little better, but as an individual playing would you prefer the definition?
Also the cleans. Magical cleans haha! With some small amount of effects on it, it's amazing/
Just my 2 cents :p

Couldn't agree more... The Road Kings are best for rhythm sections.. NOT Leads.. Mark IVs cut through the mix with tons of clarity, presence, and sustain!

I'm sure many will agree that the Mark IV is a tight amp, but I don't understand how that information will help someone achieve a better defined sound from their RK.

Anyway, like others have said before, do not over-do the gain. Modern Mode sounds best with the amp's gain under 1:30 - 2:30 (depending on p'ups etc.) and alot of volume. Also, don't be afraid of the mids, especially for detailed chord work. Don't over do the bass, keep it around 12:00 and use sheer volume for 'punch'.

Remember, tone is about EQ, not gobs of pre-amp gain. If you 'dime' the gain, your EQ will not be as effective, and it will be hard to shape your sound. The tone stack in a Rectifier comes after the gain stages. If you feel the need for more "gain', try hotter or active p'ups, and/or a clean boost in front of the amp. You could also try a graphic EQ out front for pre-distortion tone shaping. Bring up the mids and slightly bring down the extreme lows and highs. Raise the output level of the EQ to compensate if you loose 'gain'.

Good luck, take your time, I'm sure you will start to get the hang of what different frequencies can or can not do for your sound.

Hope this helps,
Dom

Also, a clear defined high gain sound requires an articulate and quiet input tube (V1).

OK hear is where I'm at-

I play fairly loud as my basement is huge and sound treated for recoding, I'm getting plenty of punch.

I'm now using a Boss DS-1 as a booster Gain all the way down and I set the volume to be just slightly over the volume that its at when off -I purchased an MXR 6 band today and I'm tweeking it, its improved Definition a bit more when I cut the 2 lowest bands 100, 200 and 3.2K about half way between 0 and the first line -boost 400 and 1.6K to half the first line and boost 800 just a touch farther. I think this is whats called "The Woman Tone". I'm jamming Crazzy train at the moment and it sounds Friging amazing.

I'm not really looking for a lead Tone at the moment, just a tight and well defined Rhythm tone. So I can hold a chord and still play riffs at the same time. Both the boost and EQ have helped a lot in bringing out the single notes quite well and I'm getting that Swirling tone, almost like I have a phase shifter in the signal but very light and without the swoosh. It gets more apparent as I attack the strings harder.

I'm going to get the G-Major and hook it up to the slave out and run it to my Peavy Classic 30 for FX, I'm not sure I want to screw up my tone now that I have it the way I like it. and I think having FX coming from another amp will be a cool effect. Not sure Till I get one though.

Pablo1234 said:
OK hear is where I'm at-

I play fairly loud as my basement is huge and sound treated for recoding, I'm getting plenty of punch.

I'm now using a Boss DS-1 as a booster Gain all the way down and I set the volume to be just slightly over the volume that its at when off -I purchased an MXR 6 band today and I'm tweeking it, its improved Definition a bit more when I cut the 2 lowest bands 100, 200 and 3.2K about half way between 0 and the first line -boost 400 and 1.6K to half the first line and boost 800 just a touch farther. I think this is whats called "The Woman Tone". I'm jamming Crazzy train at the moment and it sounds Friging amazing.

I'm not really looking for a lead Tone at the moment, just a tight and well defined Rhythm tone. So I can hold a chord and still play riffs at the same time. Both the boost and EQ have helped a lot in bringing out the single notes quite well and I'm getting that Swirling tone, almost like I have a phase shifter in the signal but very light and without the swoosh. It gets more apparent as I attack the strings harder.

Glad to hear that's working out for you!

Pablo1234 said:
I'm going to get the G-Major and hook it up to the slave out and run it to my Peavy Classic 30 for FX, I'm not sure I want to screw up my tone now that I have it the way I like it. and I think having FX coming from another amp will be a cool effect. Not sure Till I get one though.

That should work out nice, you'll have a wet/dry set-up. Just be sure to use the "kill dry" feature on the G-Major so that only the effect (wet) signal is sent to the PV Classic.

Sounds like someone is going to be having some fun!! 8) :wink:

Dom

Latest posts

Back