Tuneing my Road King II for more definition on channel 4

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo1234

Reaction score
I just bought my first Mesa Amp, Wow this thing is frigin amazing. I'm a long time Fender amp user and have always hesitated in buying a mesa due to the lack of The "FENDER TONE" on the clean channels. I had heard about the Lonestar and was intrigued so I went to check it out. I was amazed, but The dealer pointed out the Road King. believe me, it was a hard choice, but The guys I jam with now tend more tword the Megadeth, Tool, Dream Theater kind of gain. So I opted for the Road King.

My issue (not too much of an issue realy) is I would like to get a bit more definition out of the high gain channel. I do alot of rifs and arpegios while holding power chords and I just cant seem to get the definition in my riffs I would like when my gain is wher I like it for the Chords (All the Way up), also the muted base notes seem to be more of a thud than really defined punchy sounding. If I turn down the gain I get the definition and attack but the distortion is not quite as nice as ALL The WAY UP.

This is my system at the moment.
Fender Strat with Semore Duncan Pearly Gates Bridge position - Road King All Power amp Tubes ON - Gain 3:30 - Treble 2:00 - Mid 10:00 - Base 11:30 - Presence 1:00 - Volume between 11:00 and 2:00 Depending on who I'm playing with - Crate Cab with 4 Fender 12" speakers and back of cab cut 1/3 open.

In my opinion I think its partially the cab and pickup. The cab sounds amazing in channels 1-3 for how I have it set up and I only use the Semore Duncan for channels 3 and 4. I was also thinking about replacing it with a Dimarzio FRED, but that may be for a different guitar as its a really unique tone and not suitable for a variety of music.

Any suggestions are welcome. I play a wide Variety of music from Jazz, Progressive Rock, Metal, Blues and Country. This amp is so amazing I can't believe it really exists.

You may find it hard to believe, but the best thing for any rec is to keep the gain around 1 Oclock and use a booster pedal with just the level maxed and the gain on the pedal all the way down.

This tightens up the amp, gets you the definition you want with the gain you want.

Get a guitar with active pickups in it, and turn your darn gain down. Anything higher than 2oclock is redundant. And make sure the treble isn't too high either, that is the most powerful knob on the Road King. Keep your bass around noon, and mids at 9 to 11 oclock. Presence should be around 11 to 2 oclock, according to taste.

Might wanna try ch3 on modern with a boost, I think it sounds nicer than ch4.

I hate having a battery in my Guitar, also I don't like the tone from Active pickups on the clener channels, I prefer Boosting with a pedal.

I agree that 2:00 is redundant, I'm just emphasizing that I like maximum gain for the chording, I will try boosting with my Boss Blues Driver to see if that helps untill I get a better Boost pedal.

Channel 3 is set up on Vintage and it sounds crazy good, wouldn't change it for the world, Its actually to dark sounding on modern at high gain settings, or I should say very muddy and little to no definition.

I still think it has alot to do with a 3/4 Back cab and not so much the pickups.

As I'm reading through the forums this technique seems to be the most poupulr method of getting a tighter sound at higher gain on he mesa amps. I currently overdrive my Fender Super Twin like this but its more of a SRV tone on that amp, Now I'm wondering if it may be key to pushing the amp where I want it :)

Hooking up my pedal tomorrow morning and giving it a try. On a side note what Delay would you all recommend in the Effects loop for a slap back kind of feel, earlier I tried my EH small stone and didn't like the noise it produced, I'm hoping that not all peddles or FX act this way in the loop.

A couple other things to try- turn channel 4 to vintage, turn up the presence and gain to about 5-8 depending on what you're preference is and set bass to max and everything else to 5, sounds better in a band mix than the modern setting IMO, and I think adds the definition that lacks in modern. Modern to me is the perfect setting for flat out metal rhythmic work, but vintage and raw are much better for riffing and melodic work (once again IMO). Cabs and speakers make a huge difference, as well as pickups and what kind of pick you use and your pick attack (I use dunlop jazztone 205's and 208's and they add a lot of definition as well). String gauge and action also make a huge difference. Too many things that alter the tone and characteristics of a guitar to narrow it down to a setting on an amp, but every little thing helps.

Pablo1234 said:
I would like when my gain is wher I like it for the Chords (All the Way up)

You can't expect alot of clarity with the gain at 5 o'clock.

Try 120W mode 'bold', bass @ 9 O'clock, mids at 12, Treble and Presence at 1, gain around 12-1. 2EL34x46L6, diode rectified, voicing modern... That's about all she can get for clarity in a lead setting. The alternative solution as I have found is to ditch the RK and get a Mark IV.

Currently I use The dunlop Jazz also and some thicker Tortex. I hate flimsy picks, don't seem to get much punch from them. I also use .10-.46 Boomers for strings.

As for not getting definition at high gain settings, I compleatly disagree, I play through a couple of Peaveys - Classic 30 with Rocktron VooDu Valve and an old Peavy Bandit 112 with the Scorpion Speaker. Both have Tremendous Gain and Definition, Ther just a bit to Thin sounding for my tastes, I like the Darker Tone of the Rectifier's. I'm begining to think its wher the scoop lies with the Recto's that cause the Lack of Definition at the higher gain settings. I belive driving the Pre affects this without having to turn the Treble up on the Pre. I could be wrong but I will find out.

I like the Vintage on Channel 3 alot, its a great tone, but I'm realy happy with the tone on Ch 4 Modern with all tubes on, this also sounds like crap in spongy mode, I love the Channel 2 on 2 EL34's and 2 6L6's with it in spongy though. I wish it was assignable per channel, Not realy complaining about it though as I have been freeking at the variety of tones I can get with just Ch 1.

Tonight when I get back from work I'm trying the Driveing Pedal and also I have a Nice Rack Parametic EQ I'm gona give a try in the FX loop. Another feature that is sweet is it has 2 Loops. Just need to get some good pedals or rack gear that will sound good in their. My Boss Chorus CE-2 sounds like poo in the FX loop on the gain channels, thinking about getting the TC Electronics one and trying that out. I was also bumbed that my Small Stone Was crap also, this is my favorite pedal, gess it will have to stay with my Twin system.

you will be quite amazed how much an external EQ can change a Rectifier's tone.

and very slight changes at that on the EQ.
after years of playing on an old Digitech GSP2101, and having extremely tight and punchy presets,
when i first picked up my old Triple Rectifier i was a little disappointed in the loose sound i was getting. i went to the hollywood Mesa store to inquire about it and the guy grabbed an MXR EQ and threw it in the FX loop, and just tweaked is ever so slightly scooped, and it made all the difference to me, so i went right away and picked up one of them. hell, using the external EQ of my G-force makes all the difference to me with my Triaxis as well, so i dont have to use the Dynamic Voice on there either.

only crappy part is having another thing to plug into, but if it's really important, i am sure you can make it work.

OK now this is what I'm looking for. I put my Blues driver as a booster pedal set the gain at 9:00- volume at 3:00 and my tone at 2:00. Their is such a difference I was scared to plug anything else in as it sounds sooooo smooth and articulate as it is now. Then I decided to plug my Beringer Tube parametric EQ into the loop and holy crap its frigin amazing. I'm cutting the treble with the upper shelf set at 4kHZ and cutting a scoop at 900 Hz. it sounds so creamy good I can't believe it.

Now I'm looking at either a Rocktron Xpression or a TC Electronics G-Major or both. Any opinions on either of these units? I have a Rocktron Voodu Valve Pre and the FX are sweet sounding, But the Distortion is a one way street, realy good for the Dave Mustain sound but not much else in my opinion.

Wow, I'm finally experiencing the "Swirl Effect" from my amp, it sounds so bad azz its not funny. Its like a verry light Phase shifting tone, better than my small stone IMHO as its so light and their is no swooshing from an FX Pedal.

you also need to turn the volume up to get it to punch nicely. as volume goes up, turn gain down. don't be afraid to put mids up either. they sound nice in a live setting.

Pablo1234 said:
Now I'm looking at either a Rocktron Xpression or a TC Electronics G-Major or both. Any opinions on either of these units? I have a Rocktron Voodu Valve Pre and the FX are sweet sounding, But the Distortion is a one way street, realy good for the Dave Mustain sound but not much else in my opinion.

I have the G-Major and absolutely love it. Sounds better than any pedals or rack fx I've had in the past.

Ok, I'm biased, BUT after playing through a Triple rectifier and a road king, I find definition is something left best to the Mark series amps, I know though that the roadking will do the tones of the bands you mentioned maybe a little better, but as an individual playing would you prefer the definition?
Also the cleans. Magical cleans haha! With some small amount of effects on it, it's amazing/
Just my 2 cents :p

chris_EIT said:
Ok, I'm biased, BUT after playing through a Triple rectifier and a road king, I find definition is something left best to the Mark series amps, I know though that the roadking will do the tones of the bands you mentioned maybe a little better, but as an individual playing would you prefer the definition?
Also the cleans. Magical cleans haha! With some small amount of effects on it, it's amazing/
Just my 2 cents :p

Couldn't agree more... The Road Kings are best for rhythm sections.. NOT Leads.. Mark IVs cut through the mix with tons of clarity, presence, and sustain!

Latest posts

Back