Tubescreamers and Humbucking Pickups

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluesician

Reaction score
I've read many articles saying tubescreamers and humbuckers don't go well together. However, some players say that their tubescreamer sounds great with their humbucking equipped guitar.

What do you think? Why the varied responses?

They go great together as long as you like Tube Screamers.

People just have different taste.

I bought my Tube Screamer used in 1984 for $15 and spent the next 20 years looking ofr something that sounded better and found that I just don't like overdrive pedals.

I have an HBE powerscreamer (a boutique TS808 clone) on my board as well as an OCD and a Maxon Sonic Distortion. I like the Tubescreamer with single coils and neck position pickups. The Maxon is nicer with humbuckers and bridge pickups (the gain is at 7:00) in most cases.

The OCD is used more like a stand alone distortion pedal....takes singles or humbuckers equally well.

I use a ts-9 in front of my RoadkingII and what i notice is with either single or humbuckers it increases the upper mid a little which tightens it up. I have used a clean boost pedal, a mxr wylde overdrive and so far the ts-9 is my definite favorite.

i can see (or hear, rather) what might lead somebody to say that about tubescreamers and humbuckers. the tubescreamer style pedal has a midrange emphasis, and humbuckers are already rich in mids (usually). whereas with single coils ,that type of pedal tends to fill in a notch that is missing and thicken the mids which aren't as strong. but i find the mid-bump is pretty subtle in the grand scheme of things. do whatever sounds good to you!

i got tremonti treble pickup with my tubescreamer and haven't had a problem with humming noise.

-PJ

Latest posts

Back