Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonge

Reaction score
what are some good tubes poweramp/preamp both? I am playing a mark. thanks

Is your amp 60,100, or simul class? What kind of Mark is it?

I use Groove Tube 6L6GE power tubes. I have a mixture of preamp tubes - I have some Mesas, some Groove Tubes, and I have a JAN Philips 5751 in the phase inverter slot. The 5751 is a lower gain tube and it smooths out the amp IMO.

For 6L6's the Winged C's cant be beat.

For EL34's the JJ KT77's are the shyite.

For preamp tubes I like the JJ ECC83 Golds.

The JJ ECC803 is good in the Phase Inverter.

I'm not a huge fan of JJ 12AX7s - I tried them in the V1 and V2 positions in my Mark IV and found the sound to be not very inspiring. I've also used them in a Fender Hot Rod Deville to the same effect. At high gain levels, their sound is somewhat "brown"ish, but in a not-so-good "preampy" way.

I'm currently using a new production Mullard in V1, Tung-Sols in V2 and V3, a USA JAN Phillips in V4 and a balanced Sovtek in V5. The Tung-Sols have killer high gain distortion - very sharp and bitey, but are not as warm when playing clean as the Mullards (or JJs for that matter).

Purists will probably scold me here, but I think that the Sovtek 12AX7s sound pretty good in the Mesa high gain amps, even though they are one of the lowest priced tubes on the market. The ones I've tried have good (but not "great") clean AND distorted tones.

Wow rabies you can't tell the difference? Even between say an EH tube and a nice US or British tube in V1?

Well no wonder you dont like them. After looking at your moniker I can understand. :lol:

I like the JJ's a lot. Yes the ECC83 JJ has a slight rolled off highs which I like though the JJ ECC803's are very full range sounding. The JJ's have lasted me way longer than any of the New Sensor stuff (Sovtek, EH Tung Sol, Mullard ......) I like the way the Tung Sols sound but they dont seem to hold up very long. BTW the Tung Sol and the EH tube are identicle except for one part ( the getter).

My suggestion for trying Tubes is keep an open mind and let your ears make the determination..

Dont rule out any NOS Tubes as well. In my Blackface Bassman I currently have a Raytheon 5814 in V1, 1956 (real) Mullard Long Plate in V2, Raytheon 5814 in V3, and an RCA 6201 in V4 with a great set of of (real Svetlana) Winged C / =C= 6L6's in the Power section. Pretty much like Campbels Soup.

Some of the lower Gain Preamp tubes are quite often overlooked. My favorite is the 12AU7.

phyrexia said:
Is your amp 60,100, or simul class? What kind of Mark is it?

I use Groove Tube 6L6GE power tubes. I have a mixture of preamp tubes - I have some Mesas, some Groove Tubes, and I have a JAN Philips 5751 in the phase inverter slot. The 5751 is a lower gain tube and it smooths out the amp IMO.

oh sorry 2c+ loaded..simulcass, eq etc.

maybe I should say that..I was thinking of mullards because, I have 2 el34 mullards now, in simulclass w/ TAD 6L6s. I kind of like that combo for now anyway. V1 and V3 have the reissue mullards in there now - I like, which is why I wanna try mullards in there (real ones). Then in V2 and V4 I have the nice mesa 12ax7As (black band). V5 I have an old FAT groovetube 12ax7A. I have heard that telefunkens are over rated..I think I will try the JAN Phillips out..or the winged C 6L6s. I didn't like the EL34s by them though. I tried those the other day. I am pretty much sticking with the Mullards for EL34s. Can anyone tell me some good mullards? whats the differenc between long plate or ribbed plate? or 12ax7, 7025,or ecc83? (I thought those were the same tubes.
thanks guys.

Latest posts

Back