Tubes broke when i put the simul class on!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffguitarboogie

Reaction score
Hi to all I'm new here.
Well like i wrote in the subject, my amp a markll c ran over when i used it with the simul class on. it started by buzzing louder and louder then the tubes flashed, i turned the amp off then turned it on again and the fuse blew. the tubes were four 6l6 from tad. i changed them for some old sovtek 5881 that i had and switched off the simul class and it seemed to work properly. but i hesitate to try the simul class again. Can someone tell me if he knows this problem and if there is a solution or if it is only bad tubes. thank you ! jeff.

how many tubes broke? which sockets were they in?

if you have 2 good ones left, you probably can put them in the outside sockets and play in class A safely...you probably had one tube go bad in one of the inner sockets

Hi
Well, i don't really know which tube broke. Do you think that it's safety for the amp to try to run it in simul class again? And what could happen if i run the amp whitout the 2 inside tubes?

it's safe, as long as you are in class A mode. in class A mode, the inner tube sockets are electrically taken out of the circuit....doesn't matter if there are tubes installed in those sockets or not.

chances are, one of your TAD tubes toasted. If I were you, I would put all 4 of your old 5881 tubes in the amp and run it in simulclass mode...see what happens. if there's a problem with one of the sockets, the worst that can happen is you'll take out one of the 5881's. and maybe a fuse (make sure your fuse is rated correctly). I'd bet that evrything works out OK. if so, get yourself a new quad of 6L6s and you're back in business.

Were the TAD 6L6's in the proper bias range for that amp?How about the Sovteks?It certainly sounds like you had a power tube or tubes go south.It could be a faulty tube,or,if they werent selected for the proper bias range of that amp.....I would advise having the amp checked out,quite often when a power tube blows it takes the screen resistor with it.

Latest posts

Back