Tube Swap

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvf263

Reaction score
Ordered the Mesa 5x12xA7 tone kit from Doug yesterday.
He suggested I exchange the v2 tube for a GE 5751 so I just ordered it extra to try out.
I chose the Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR for the power tubes.

Is anybody using or tried the 5751 in v2?

If so, can you describe the tone it brings to the 5:50?

Thanks!

That's the 12ax7 substitute I put in V2. But i chose SED 6l6s. The 5751 is not high gain but it's not low gain either.
It's very musical.

If you don't know already, a 5751 will yield a slightly lower-gain than a 12ax7. From what I've read, if the latter were ascribed "100" as a value, the 5751 would be approximately "70-75," and a 12AT7 in the "60s" range. These are generalizations, rife with variables, of course, but you get the general idea of where each tube "family" sits with respect to each other.

Yup, definitely try it. I'd personally recommend buying two 5751s and trying them in different positions. The V2 is the first input stage and so will affect your entire preamp signal to both channels. Conversely, the PI position is after the preamp going into the power section, and will affect the tone and dynamics differently. Alternatively, you can affect either channel more locally by trying the 5751 in one of the other preamp spots. A single tube swap, two, and in different positions gives you lots of variations: all of which sound different and only you can determine which sounds best.

I like the 5751, also the 12AT7, and use these along with good 12AX7s; not to mention power tubes affect tone, as well. FWIW, for 6L6s, I love the (real, not current-production reissue) SED "Winged-C", but I've heard good things about TungSol's ReIssue tubes ...and use their AX7 RI as well. This tube/tone chasing is a sickness, mind you, so watch yourself :) But with some honest objectivity, time in experimentation, (ahem ...and a bit of dough), you can tailor that last bit of tone to suit your personal tastes. Kind of like taking a guitar, car, or bike you already like and tweaking it for that last 5% to make it "more you." Enjoy ...and post your findings! :D

Edward

rvf263 said:
Ordered the Mesa 5x12xA7 tone kit from Doug yesterday.
He suggested I exchange the v2 tube for a GE 5751 so I just ordered it extra to try out.
I chose the Tung-Sol 6L6GC-STR for the power tubes.

Is anybody using or tried the 5751 in v2?

If so, can you describe the tone it brings to the 5:50?

Thanks!

Can't help but......
would be interested to hear your findings :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back