Tube swap question! ADVICE PLEASE!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dualrec26

Reaction score
So, IMO, my stiletto can get a little too bright to the point where it's harsh. That being said, I have been contemplating a tube swap. I love el34's but are there different brands of el34's that will be warmer? and tame the harsh brightness? What should I do?

Input is much appreciated!

Try a set of pre-amps from Doug's Tubes and perhaps JJ EL34L's for power tubes. Also, speaker/cab can make a difference.

Jak0lantern01 said:
Try a set of pre-amps from Doug's Tubes and perhaps JJ EL34L's for power tubes. Also, speaker/cab can make a difference.

I agree. The pre amp tubes are a good place to start.
That Doug's Mesa pre amp tube set has a Tung So for V1 and a JJ for V2. They do a nice job of taking the edge off. Mullard reissues EL34s are another good choice for the power section. IMHO
What kind of speakers are in your cabinet? I just switched out my V30s for some Greenback style speakers (Scumback m75S) and it really made me happy.
Good luck on the quest. :)

I have noticed with these amps that they can be very difficult to dial in if you're just playing in your bedroom or any situation that there is no band involved. I tend to find the sound a bit too sharp when I'm not jamming, but it's a lot easier to adjust the sound when you're in a mix. I've been toying with some of the suggested settings from the manual, I'm waiting to hear the settings with my band over the weekend.

Riff Blister said:
Jak0lantern01 said:

I agree. The pre amp tubes are a good place to start.
That Doug's Mesa pre amp tube set has a Tung So for V1 and a JJ for V2. They do a nice job of taking the edge off. Mullard reissues EL34s are another good choice for the power section. IMHO
What kind of speakers are in your cabinet? I just switched out my V30s for some Greenback style speakers (Scumback m75S) and it really made me happy.
Good luck on the quest. :)

I have greenbacks in my marshall cabinet right now BUT I in the process of selling it and buying an avatar cabinet with a set of v30's. IMO the greenbacks early cone break up bothers me and they sound too harsh. I want v30's because I hear they are smoother but I hear not very good things about them with stiletto's.

Jak0lantern01 said:
I have noticed with these amps that they can be very difficult to dial in if you're just playing in your bedroom or any situation that there is no band involved. I tend to find the sound a bit too sharp when I'm not jamming, but it's a lot easier to adjust the sound when you're in a mix. I've been toying with some of the suggested settings from the manual, I'm waiting to hear the settings with my band over the weekend.

Again, I'm in agreement with your statement. When I first got my Deuce I had a period where I was pulling my hair out(and I had a lot of it back then :) ).
I'd get it set to sound great at my home but with the band it would get totally lost in the mix. Conversely my stage settings sounded way to bright back at home.
That was a lesson in "bedroom tone" and actual live band mix settings for me. My amp has never sounded unpleasantly bright or harsh with the band in full swing though.

Hey dualrec....I settled on some TungSol EL34B's and they helped quite a bit to round out the tone some. Still bright, but better. The biggest change happened when I used an EQ pedal in the loop!!! Things started thumpin' after that :mrgreen: !!!

As others have stated here, Stilettos, Aces in particular, are kinda picky about volume. The bedroom or practice tone just won't cut it when you get some more players together at volume. However, the saving grace is that the "brightness" will allow you to really come to the front in a band situation. You know, they're called "Stilettos" for a reason... :twisted:

I have to agree that the standard JJ 12ax7 does help tame the brightness in a Stiletto. I use one in the V2 position and find that's "just about right". You can use them in V1 as well to get it even darker, though that may be too much for your tastes.
Also the presence control needs to be kept very low as well.

Some criticize Mesa for the range of this control, but my 50/50 is the same way and I find it to be 'no big deal'....just keep it low.

As far as el 34's, I found the GT el34M to be a 'warmer' sounding el34, but I prefer and use the =C= SED even if they are a bit brighter than the GT...the clarity is superior.

Lastly, as many have observed, the Stiletto at gig volume level is a wonderful thing; then the brightness becomes an asset allowing you to cut past other amps. Try it and see! :wink:

Good luck with that! :D

+1 These amps are definately for giggin. Not a bedroom amp.
Jak0lantern01 said:

+2
I can get cool sounds from it at low volume, but it's way better in a jam situation, which is never really that loud...well ok maybe it is loud :D
I'm on my second set of these:
http://thetubestore.com/el341.html
The first set didn't go "bad" or anything, I just put a lot of hours on them this last year and felt the need to replace them.
Replaced the Rec. tube also(I run it 100% of the time)
My rec tube as well as the pre's are all just stock Mesa, never had the desire to swap them for anything else.
Maybe someday for fun, but for now the stock tubes work great, over priced IMO but work great.

Even if you need to turn things down a little, just lower the master volumes, and compensate with the output knob to give it more lows and low mids...

First off, an immediate fix for the harshness of the amp would be to dial off all of the presence on the EQ as well as dial the treble controls down to around 9 or so. Secondly, tubes could help tame some of the harshness. I installed Mullard Re-issued EL 34's and JJ 12AX7's, all matched gold pins. I noticed made the the gain channels more usable. If you find that the tube change out made your ACE sound better, I would look into changing out your speaker. I recently purchased a M75 LDHC 65w speaker from Scumback. WOW....what a difference this made. The harshness is now gone. I now love to play around on the Tite Gain and Fluid drive channels. I even use a Keeley Modded BD-2 as a boost in these channels just to give it an additional push. I highly recommend looking into Scumbacks. I also had Jim break them in for me as well. Hands down, this made the most difference in the usability and tone of this amp. The wait was about 6 weeks to get my speaker in, but it was well worth the wait. Try tweaking the EQ and you will eventually fall in love with the tones of this amp. Just takes a little bit of patience!

Latest posts

Back