Tube swap on a DC2 head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10995

Reaction score
Hi All,

so I'm thinking about changing out the tubes on my DC2 head. I want something with a creamier overdrive and a little less harsh then it currently is. Has anyone swapped tubes and if so what did you go with and what is your opinion on them?

Thanks,
Sam

I put a set of Sovtec EL-84's in my DC-2 and I'm really happy with how smooth and warm it is. It had a set of JJ's which I thought were much more harsh.

Thanks for the info, as far as I know it still has the original tubes in it but I haven't pulled the back off in a while, I might tonight.

GD_NC said:
I put a set of Sovtec EL-84's in my DC-2 and I'm really happy with how smooth and warm it is. It had a set of JJ's which I thought were much more harsh.

Try a good NOS 5751 in the V1 position.They are ideal for what you are looking for.I dont recommend any of the current production Sovtek 5751's,to me they sound like weak chinese AX7's.

Do you recommened any paticular brands?

stokes said:
Try a good NOS 5751 in the V1 position.They are ideal for what you are looking for.I dont recommend any of the current production Sovtek 5751's,to me they sound like weak chinese AX7's.

I've got JAN's, Ampex, RCA's and to me they are all good.Wait a bit and I'm sure MAV or Timber wolf will jump in,those two guys can give you a much better evaluation of them.

Cool thanks, I also read somehwere that people were changing out the 12AX7 in the V5 position to a 5751 to improve the reverb, I might have to get a couple and try it out.

stokes said:
I've got JAN's, Ampex, RCA's and to me they are all good.Wait a bit and I'm sure MAV or Timber wolf will jump in,those two guys can give you a much better evaluation of them.

They are slightly lower in gain factor than a 12AX7,I imagine they would soften up the reverb,I wasnt impressed with it in the reverb position.You described wanting a creamier overdrive and less harshness,that is exactly what you will get in the V1 position in any amp.I use them in this position in every amp I own,except 2 that I have a lower gain 12AY7.

stokes said:
They are slightly lower in gain factor than a 12AX7,I imagine they would soften up the reverb,I wasnt impressed with it in the reverb position.You described wanting a creamier overdrive and less harshness,that is exactly what you will get in the V1 position in any amp.I use them in this position in every amp I own,except 2 that I have a lower gain 12AY7.

When I picked up my DC-2 it had a old UK Mullard AT7 in V5. I also tried it in V1 and I really didn't care for it. Went back to an EH AX7 for both.

An AT7 makes a terrible input tube,dull and lifeless,has to do with the plate impedance.It sounds best in a reverb circuit or as a PI tube only.

I was able to get my hands on a RCA Command 5751 and it made a world of difference in the amp, not harsh, much smoother very nice now.

Thanks for all the help

Back