Tube swap in Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarchris76

Reaction score
I was wondering if it is possible to swap the tubes in my Express 5:50 for EL84's. Any help would be appreciated.

I useed to have a 5:50 and don't recall being able to switch out different power tubes other then a different brand 6L6. If its not mentioned in the manual don't do it. EL84S are for the 5:25 :)

If you used Yellow jackets you probably could for EL84's.

If you mean EL34's, probably not without modifications to the amp for biasing.

No. EL84s are too small. You'd have to use EL34, but the 5:50 isn't made to work with those either. While many more-costly Mesa/Boogie amps are made with BIAS switches to configure them for use with either 6L6 or EL34 tubes, there is no such design characteristic in the Express -- it is a fixed bias amp made only for use with 6L6 tubes.

So..

6L6 to 6L6 = yes (duh!!)

6L6 to EL34 = no (oh well)

6L6 to EL84 = yes with THD Yellowjacket Converter (cool!! someone try it and let us know!!, I'm curious)

6L6 to 6V6 = ??? (The Lonestar Classic manual says you can use 6V6 tubes if you use 4 tubes and an 8 ohm speaker in the 4 ohm jack, but theres no tweed power setting in the express 5:50) I won't be trying this unless I hear from Mesa that I can.

6L6 to 5881 = ??? maybe? (plate voltage is the same?)

6L6 to 6L6GC = my guess is no. (because of plate voltage)

6L6 to KT66 = my guess is no. (because of plate voltage)

So, has anyone used any other 6L6 tubes? (non-mesa branded) I don't know enough about tubes to make any recommendations.

Latest posts

Back