Tube suggestions, case suggestions, etc

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtb226

Reaction score
hey everyone.

i just got a new band going and we are going to be playing live quite often. therefore, i'd like to get a case for my head (dual rec - 3 channel) and some backup tubes.

i'm thinking for the case that i'd like to get a lift off lid style, full ATA. where would you suggest looking? are the ones on ebay alright? it doesn't need to be too heavy duty, but heavy enough to substantially protect my investment.

as for tubes, i want to get backup tubes and would like to stick with 6L6's. i'm open for suggestions, as i'm not sure what i should be looking for in tubes. thanks for all your help!

jtb226 said:
hey everyone.

i just got a new band going and we are going to be playing live quite often. therefore, i'd like to get a case for my head (dual rec - 3 channel) and some backup tubes.

i'm thinking for the case that i'd like to get a lift off lid style, full ATA. where would you suggest looking? are the ones on ebay alright? it doesn't need to be too heavy duty, but heavy enough to substantially protect my investment.

as for tubes, i want to get backup tubes and would like to stick with 6L6's. i'm open for suggestions, as i'm not sure what i should be looking for in tubes. thanks for all your help!

I use unitec elite series cases . They are great cases . They also make lower line cases . All my Mesa gear is in cases . Peace of mind . Who wants to baby the stuff at 2:00 a.m. when you are loading out of some club ? www.unitecproducts.com

jtb226 said:
how much does one run for an amp head? thanks

Cant remember but probably $200- $300 . Keep in mind thats their top of the line cases . Recessed hardware , Foam in bottom of case is more dense/thickers than the sides and top . Three handles . They make some felt covered cases as well . I wouldnt invest in cases with surface mounted hardware . Ive just always went for good cases . My gear looks like it did the day that i bought it . If you order one make sure you ask your dealer about the quality of parts, thickness of plyboard, foam, etc.. Know what you are buying !

i as well want to go with a good case. i have a few in mind taht i'll be looking at. $300 is a little too much for me at the moment, as i'm a poor college student and i don't think i need anything that heavy. thanks for all your advice.

anyone have any tube suggestions? i'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to tubes

jtb226 said:
i as well want to go with a good case. i have a few in mind taht i'll be looking at. $300 is a little too much for me at the moment, as i'm a poor college student and i don't think i need anything that heavy. thanks for all your advice.

anyone have any tube suggestions? i'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to tubes

You may want to look at their lower line cases as well . I did have one of them as well for an external cab . It was much cheaper than the elite series and was also a very nice case .

procases has some good stuff. I got a case for my head with 8 space rack on top on casters. I dont have any pics of it on me at work, but it was well worth the investment. cost me 500.

Check out Angstrom cases. It's a good case for the money. For 1/4" plywood, it'd should be less than $200. There are cases out there for less than $100, but I keep hearing that you should stay away them each time this topic comes up.

Tubes,I always have stuck with mesa tubes cause they work(for me)very very well,never experimented with other tubes never really needed to I really like the sound of the mesa tubes If I wanted my amp to sound different I would by a new/different amp,el34's more british buy a Marshal.
I always use 6l6's and a set of 4 powertubes costs me approx£100($200)
the mesa tubes are probably cheaper then $200 in the states though

theres my 2cents

Euan

Back