Tube saturation and the Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassmantim71

Reaction score
Okay, so after nearly 2 weeks, I'm loving my Mark V. I've dialed in tones that I love on all 3 channels now, quickly described as:

ch1: glassy clean (preset eq)
ch2: dirty clean, Mark I thick, with gain dialed back (preset eq)
ch3: melt your face, Mark IIc+ hi gain (eq sliders)

In order to get the sounds I like, I have to run the amp in 45 or 90 watt mode (I'm using two 8 ohm cabs, btw)

Here's the question: Am I saturating any of the tubes in this beast?

My old rig had me running the volume close to "dimed" on a low wattage tube head..., I can't get anywhere near diming any of the levels on the 3 masters or the output levels. I shouldn't complain, as the amp sounds great with lots of headroom..., but isn't there a whole market of hotplates and such, in order to "heat up the tubes" and keep the volume under control on amps?

I can just imagine going back to a club I've gigged regularly with this amp, and trying to turn it up :mrgreen: The soundman would be on stage turning my amp down in a flash. I can't imagine a situation requiring the full power and potential of this beast.

Thoughts?

Hmm, In 90 and 45 watts, I usually get a good metalish tone by having the ouput and master at about halfway, or a little less than that. But, that's still pretty **** loud. 10 watts blows for metal really - Need more power! I think the clean channel sounds good on just about any volume though.

But, yes, you can order a THD Hotplate to help heat up the tubes and play at a more moderate level. . .Not sure how moderate though. . .Haven't used one.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-THD-HP8-LIST?SRC=D0407FG0HAMS0000&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=feed&

I wouldn't bother with an attenuator if you like the tones you are getting. I've heard of people having problems using them with the Mark IV, but I havn't heard of anyone using them with a FIVE. To my ears it sounds saturated at less than half, but I mostly run in 10 watts.

Welcomehome said:
But, yes, you can order a THD Hotplate to help heat up the tubes and play at a more moderate level. . .Not sure how moderate though. . .Haven't used one.

Actually, I was just addressing that there is a market for hotplates..., my friend calls them the "boomerang" as they are often returned to music stores shortly after purchase.

I can't get the levels up past "noon" in 45 or 90 watt mode either..., too farking loud :eek:

I'm curious how this amp sounds with the levels set around 3 o'clock'ish in the higher watt modes.

And agreed..., 10 watt blows for metal. Must be that 5U4 tube :!:

bassmantim71 said:

Unless you are running both the channel masters and the output (the overall master) at 50% or better, any saturation is likely the pre-amp, not the power section.

bassmantim71 said:
Actually, I was just addressing that there is a market for hotplates..., my friend calls them the "boomerang" as they are often returned to music stores shortly after purchase.

Oh? They suck?

bassmantim71 said:
And agreed..., 10 watt blows for metal. Must be that 5U4 tube

Could be. . .I still have the stock tubes >_>

bassmantim71 said:
I can't get the levels up past "noon" in 45 or 90 watt mode either..., too farking loud

I'm curious how this amp sounds with the levels set around 3 o'clock'ish in the higher watt modes.

Do it for like 10 seconds and hit some chords, then turn it down. . .No one will know what hit them.

MrMarkIII said:
bassmantim71 said:

Unless you are running both the channel masters and the output (the overall master) at 50% or better, any saturation is likely the pre-amp, not the power section.

Hmmmm..., this is what I thought, I'm gonna play with the levels (lower preamp level / raise master output level) on all 3 channels this week and see what results I get.

The amp sounds great now..., it'll be more of an experiment.

Welcomehome said:
bassmantim71 said:

Oh? They suck?

No..., they are designed to be used in "non master volume amps".

bassmantim71 said:
Welcomehome said:
bassmantim71 said:

Oh? They suck?

No..., they are designed to be used in "non master volume amps".

Well, um, a master volume amp with the master turned up all the way is the same thing, pretty much... :D

I messed around a bit today :D

IIc+ mode, triode, 90 watts simulclass, running at 4 ohms into a 320 watt & 360 watt cabs (both are 8 ohm cabs):

- If you lower the master on channel 3, and then crank the master output, it sounds pretty darn good..., you can hear those power tubes heating up, especially at 4 ohms :mrgreen:

- If you crank the master on channel 3, and then try to control the volume by really lowering the master output, it just sounds fizzy and bleh :|

I find the happy place is with the channel 3 master around 11 o'clock, and the master output as loud as your ears can stand. The amp really opens up and gets angry at 4 ohms when you can get the master output up above 11 o'clock..., you hear the amp instantly come alive once you cross a certain spot on the knob.

Back