Tube/Recording question.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickyrick

Reaction score
What up everyone, I have been doing a lot of recording latly, Home studio with a boss multitracker. Sometimes I record direct using the units effects, sometimes I go through other processors and I have even used my MarkIV silent recording feature. I would ultimatly rather use my SM57 on my thiele. My issue is that my amp has developed a rather high hum. Is it a bad pre amp tube? I have original Mesa Russian 2's, I have moved tubes around but the hum remains. I understand that it's a high gain amp and some hum is expected, but it is difficult to constantly cut out sections of a track during quite parts of a tune. It effects whatever decay of reverb or delay I may be using. I sure you know what i mean.

I was going to try Dougs retube kit but too many mixed reviews has got me stalling. I like the tone of my amp and I am just thinking about getting some more stock Mesa's. What are available now, are the russian 2's not used anymore? Any suggestions to help get rid of the hum would be great.

I am using duncan SH-12's in all of my guitars which are pretty middle of the road output. I can roll off my guitars volume a bit and it helps but I loose too much deffinition. I look forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Rich

do you have strip lights in your recording room? have you tried moving the amp to a different power socket? it may be mains ring hum, just a thought dude!

As darkmavis suggested it could be something like lights. The biggest one is usually computer monitors (new LCD's usually don't cause it though). In my little recording space I at first had a hum, which I found out was a fan I had blowing on me, so now its hot!! Then when I set up my computer it was the monitor so I got a new LCD.

Does it get worse when you move your guitar around the room?? Or is it the same constant hum no matter what you do?

Also about the DougsTubes kit, I recommend E-Mailing him (he responds really fast), as he suggests a bit different setup now (no JJ ECCS83). The setup he gave me I absolutely love.

darkmavis said:
do you have strip lights in your recording room? have you tried moving the amp to a different power socket? it may be mains ring hum, just a thought dude!

No light strips, yes I have tried different sockets. The amp seems to have developed this over time. It was not this bad when I first got it. I was hopeing it was just a tube issue and not a cap problem. I guess the only way to find out is to try some new tubes.

Esromeron said:
As darkmavis suggested it could be something like lights. The biggest one is usually computer monitors (new LCD's usually don't cause it though). In my little recording space I at first had a hum, which I found out was a fan I had blowing on me, so now its hot!! Then when I set up my computer it was the monitor so I got a new LCD.

Does it get worse when you move your guitar around the room?? Or is it the same constant hum no matter what you do?

Also about the DougsTubes kit, I recommend E-Mailing him (he responds really fast), as he suggests a bit different setup now (no JJ ECCS83). The setup he gave me I absolutely love.

No PC's in the room, In fact it is a dedicated music room. All of the familys instruments.

The hum will certainly be louder when I stand in front of the amp while tweeking it, but that isn't the hum I'm concerned about. It's the constant hum, even at low volumes that can be heard on a recording. I am thinking about trying a power conditioner too.

I have already spoken with Doug and he has suggested some options. He is in Levitown on long island, I am originaly from there and am returning for a wedding later this month. I am going to try and arrange a meeting with him and pick the tubes up while I am in town. It would be great if I could try them out while I am there, but I don't think I will have room in the car for the amp.

Latest posts

Back