tube noob

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aramism

Reaction score
i know a lot of guitars, pickups, amps, playing techniques and a lot else BUT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT TUBES....

i know the main ones used are 6L6 tubes for the modern bold sound and the EL34 tubes for the marshall crunchy spongy sound.... i know 12Ax7 are standard pre amp tubes.....

that;s about it. I know there are several different aftermarket tubes and that mesa used chinese.

THAT's IT

where is a good place to start to learn? I have a road king 1 head with stock tubes. I understand a lot of people keep same tube type but change manufactueres (IE STOCK 6L6 to JJ 6L6)......

also i am getting a mark iv soon once i find one. i've heard they perform better with 6V6 tubes whatever those are....

Take an hour out of your life and read this guys documents. Absolutely amazing! You learn so much, and you will never buy the wrong tube again.

http://www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com/index2.html

Looks like a big AD for Dr. Z amps. I'm not a fan of Dr. Z's, they sound ok but there's still something missing that I'm not hearing.

The link that jackieTHEjokeman posted had a lot of good information but they sure hate The Tube Store. I've ordered tubes from The Tube Store many times and have always been very satified with their service and tube suggestions.

I wouldn't call it a hatred so much as a bias because Myles works for GT.

Latest posts

Back