Tube Mic preamp --> Firebox

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intervention

Reaction score
Hi. I purchased a firebox, and use a sm-57 to record clips. I noticed my tone sounded alot different, i got my mic positions/tweaks all set up, but it just doesnt sound too clear..

So I was thinking... Maybe if i got a tube mic preamp, connect the mic in the tube preamp, and connect the line out to the line IN of the firebox.

any ideas?
thx =)

You say the tone sounds a lot different; different from what? The firebox is a relatively cheap pre, but shouldn't be that bad.

Are you sure the mic positions aren't affecting things? I could have sworn the pre's on my MBox were giving me grief until I happened to stumble on a good mic position. Note that diffierent guitars will also affect mic placement, as different frequencies can get emphasized.

Sounds alot different from my friends preamp, which was a tube preamp. i think he said it was around 250 dollars, but he records directly from line out.. so i was wondering if that was possible to do on the firebox.

I shoulda just said it with more detail, sorry about that :)

edit: I'm also thinkin bout getting an e609 as a second mic.

I had a lot of tone frustrations recently that I tried to solve by throwing gear at it: new mics, new cables, and even bought the best new audio interface I could afford (a Metric Halo ULN-2, which IMO has pres and A/D comparable to $2000+ units).

However, I managed to get the best tone I've recorded yet just by continued tweaking of my mic position and using an Audix I5 mic instead of an SM-57. I'm not sure if the tonal improvement was due more to the mic or the placement (I suspect placement more).

I'm still glad I have the better gear, but try adjusting placement & mic combo first, as that's going to be the cheapest approach. The I5 and e609 are both pretty inexpensive (around $90). I like the I5 as a substitution for the 57, but have heard the e609 sounds good blended with a 57 (though not as good by itself). I haven't tried blending the I5 and 57. An MD-421 blended with a 57 is another popular combo.

Positioning is a huge part of it.

Second, don't expect your "room tone" to be indentical to the close miced tone....all the room reverb, etc. has no effect on the close miced tone, so it will be different. You might have to reEQ.

Latest posts

Back