Tube faves for Mesa Ace?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thinskin57

Reaction score
was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for EL34's for the Ace. i just purchased my Ace last week used. whenever i buy a used tube amp i usually replace the power tubes and keep the existing ones for backup. no dissatisfaction with mesa's tubes but wondering if there are others that may do the amp more justice. sorry jj fans, but i've used the jj's before in other amps. they're not bad, but i wouldn't say there was ever any "wow" factor either. other suggestions? thanks!

I am using the new Mullard re-issues in my stiletto and love them.

I tried KT77 tubes and found them sort of loose, also tried JJe34L tubes and hated them.

I also have some SR450 tubes and they are REALLY nice but now that Mesa is out of stock on them I have decided to save t hem for recording.

I'm using JJ KT77's in my Stiletto Ace. It gave it more low end. The highs and mids also seem to be more defined.

Did either of you also change the preamp tubes in your Aces?

nope....my preamp tubes work fine and I like the sound of the amp. Only reason I changed out the power tubes was because the amp took a fall and one of them broke.

Don't start chasing the tube dragon......

I sold the Ace, bought a Deuce....the stock tubes are great. The amp sounds great.

I just installed a full set of JJ's in mine. Standard 12AX7's in V1-V4, balanced phase inverter in V5 and JJEL34L's. I didn't see a real lot of difference aside from better low thump until alst night when I got to play loud at an outdoor gig. It made the amp warmer and tighter in Tite Gain. It was just the difference I was looking for.

I ordered and installed a set of Doug's recommended preamp tubes and I like them at higher volumes better than the stock Mesas... but at lower volume the Mesas kill Doug's IMO

STR450's all the way for my power tubes

Latest posts

Back