Trying to find the metal sound to match As I lay Dying

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurningtheAxe

Reaction score
Heres the my problem.... I just bought a Dual rectifier with 4x12 cab, and im trying to get a sound that would match "as i lay dyings" or a bullet for my valentine sound. IF anyone knows any settings i should use or pedals i may need the help would be muchly appreciated.

BurningtheAxe said:
Heres the my problem.... I just bought a Dual rectifier with 4x12 cab, and im trying to get a sound that would match "as i lay dyings" or a bullet for my valentine sound. IF anyone knows any settings i should use or pedals i may need the help would be muchly appreciated.

I would do it like:
Put a Maxon OD808 in front of the amp (You pretty much need that one). Pedal settings: Gain=0, Balance=max, Tone=10 oclock.

Amp: Use ch 3, bold, diodes, disable loop/master, gain at noon, treble at noon, Bass between 11-noon, mid around 10-11 oclock, presence around 8 oclock.
Not sure what pickups they use, but these settings and amp/pedal-combo work great with EMG81 in the bridge!

Good luck

It really depends which record you want to sound like, but +1 on a Maxon OD808 in front of the amp. AILD uses the EMG 81/85 combos in their guitars. Don't rule out the use of a 10-band EQ in the loop as well as it can take out some of that scooped mid tone Mesa Rectifiers are famous for, smooth out the top mids which causes a little bit of the grit in the tone and tighten up the bass for some nice tight chugs. For the lead tone, you might want to put a delay pedal in the loop along with the EQ. MXR makes a great 10-band EQ and I currently use a Boss DD-20 and a Line 6 DL-4 in the loop with my current setup. Those 2 delays might be a little much, but for what I am playing now, they work great!

When I was with AILD (Frail Words Collapse record), we used a combo of Marshall JPM-1 Preamps and Dual Rectifier Recording Preamps with a 2:90 Power amp as well as a Marshall JCM900 and JCM800. For Shadows are Security they used Krank Amplification and played around with Framus Cobras and Dragons (like Killswitch Engage), but found them somewhat unreliable on the road. They initially tried the Cobra out at the recommendation of Adam from Killswitch. The latest record they used Randall Amplification (I believe the MTS Series), but can bet there is still a little Framus Cobra in there somewhere as a result of Adam producing their last record. We put a Tubescreamer (TS9) in front of all the amps for a little bit more bite on Frail Words Collapse and I would imagine they are still doing that.

Further proof...when I was asked to come in and do some leads for the new Sworn Enemy record (Tim Lambesis produced it and recorded the guitar tracks in his home studio), I was playing out of a Framus Cobra with a Maxon OD808 in front of the amp, along with a noise suppressor. Additional EQ, compression, a slight delay was done in ProTools after laying down the raw tracks.

Hope that helps a bit!

jasun krebs

I know some guys who use the POD with a DR and they get some great tones out of it when plugged in the loop. Some were a little suspect as a result of strong EQ differences between patches (the way they had them programmed). It just didn't sound natural going from a super warm clean tone with a lot of low mids to a dry gain tone with virtually no mid, high treble. It's all in how you program those things.

There's a lot of things you can do with it, but in talking with those players in the past, most have only been using it for effects and EQ, not modeling (with exception to the above example). I tend to get confused with the multi-processors, so I stay away from them 'cause I'm too lazy to sit down and figure it out. I'm more of a visual guy and like to see what I'm stomping on as apposed to stepping on a switch that looks like all the other ones on the board.

Why try to replicate tone digitally when you have spent so much money on buying the best of the best to produce it organically?

jasun

Yeah that sounds good, i was just curious, im new with the whole amp setting up thing. So i don't know too much. But i am definately going to pickup the maxon OD808, and maybe a boss NS-2 noise suppressor if i need it in the future. Thanks alot for the help

No problem, man. Like a lot of the people on this board, I've gone through it seems like everything to find my "grailtone". Glad I could be of some help!

jasun

Do you Have any amp settings that i could use to get me close to that sound until i get that Maxon od808

Back