Trying to decide between 2 amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krb813

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here. I'm trying to decide between a Rectoverb 25 combo and the Mark V 25 Head and 1x12 cab, I would think the Mark V 25 would give me more flexibility but I would be a novice at using said flexibility. I play mostly hard rock / metal and play some clean stuff for grins. I can swing either one price wise with the Mark V 25 and cab being at my top end. I play some Rush, Floyd, Alter Bridge and other types. Any assistance would be appreciated it.

Thanks,

Kevin

I am really happy with my MR for any kind of rock. However, I have struggled with the right cab for best tone and dispersion, and the RV 25 combo has given me problems on that account.

I have a MV 25 on order, but don't know what it will be like. I will assume that you would probably be good with either amp, but really recommend a head (either MR, RV 25 or MV 25) and a cab, but not the RV 25 combo. You can always swap out the cab if it suits you.

Currently I like the 2x12 recto cabs and the 4x10. For 1x12, I have had the best results with the widebody ported.

Mark v 25 might be a better choice. That being said, if you can swing Mark V 25 + cab, why not buy used ? A dual Rect would cover your metal, rock playing really well. Plus, the clean channel on the newer DR are really good.

Hi.. would a Mini-Rec work for me? I'm really concerned about the clean aspect. I would prefer to buy new to get a full warranty.

The Rectoverb 25 is exactly a Mini Rec plus reverb, with altered cosmetics. So if the RV 25 works for you, a MR would as well (unless you really want reverb).

You can check the videos on the mesa site for both MR and RV 25 to listen to the cleans. I play with a VERY clean tone on that channel, and I think it sounds great. I don't think that the MV 25 will have much different clean tone since they both use the same EL84 power section.

krb813 said:
Hi.. would a Mini-Rec work for me? I'm really concerned about the clean aspect. I would prefer to buy new to get a full warranty.

The original Recto-Verb was a 50 watt single rectifier with reverb (hence the name) and 6L6 power section. I owned one for 30 days back when Guitar Center still distributed for Mesa, and I would have probably kept it had I not subsequently demoed a Mark IV. I opted for the Mark and returned the RV, but I still thought it had great tone and feel and suited my style very well.

This past spring when looking for an EL84 amp to replace my Orange Dual Terrror I demoed an RV25. Hoping I'd like it as I did the RV 50, I was pretty disappointed and wouldn't consider buying it. I tried it through different cabs too. For me, maybe the EL84s didn't suit the amp? The salesman said he had liked the amp BEFORE I played it ( :shock: ), so maybe it just didn't suit my style of playing. To answer your question, it's tough to say what amp is right for you. You need to play as many as possible. Even different amps of the same model can sound different.

Very few people have had access to the MV 25 yet, as it is barely released and most retailers haven't received them.

As for any of the 25W amps, you really need to try them. The EL84 amps sound and feel quite different from 6L6/EL34 amps, and it's personal taste. I love 6L6 amps, but also love my Mini Rec, so much so that I ordered a MV 25 the second I heard about it, sight unseen.

Some people hate the EL84 amps. I think dodger's experience is pretty common.

My overall take on the EL84 amps is:
1. I love the small/light form factor. Easy to pack and carry! Super easy to own and carry a spare head just in case at rehearsals and live gigs (which I do).
2. Good prices, especially used.
3. The tone is surprisingly good, volume is surprisingly loud. Very useable for home and club gigs.
4. Not just littler versions of the big brothers, they are actually voiced a bit differently. In my case, I like the MR more than the Single Rec. But it has more in common with the SR than the Dual Rec.
5. If volume, weight, price and size were not a consideration, I would probably stick with the full-size versions. I really like 6L6 amps. But in truth, 50W is overkill for almost any venue. And 100W is really for stadium use. Many will disagree on that, but listen to the audience comments in a club when the guitarist is running a 100W Marshall into a 4x12. If you can hear them...

NOTE ON WATTAGE: For clean tones, the sky is the limit for Watts. You don't generally want to push the power stage, so it doesn't matter, and often helps, to have massive overkill of power. For crunch, you generally do want to push the power stage. This is why Mesa often recommends running clean at higher power than lead. So for me, a cool option would be 50W 6L6 for clean channel and 25W EL84 for rhythm/lead. I generally don't like the lower power modes in Mesa's amps because they seem squishy to me, and I prefer tight dynamics with lots of punch.

Hi Elvis. I'm not a gigging musician. I just play at home for fun at my old :) age of 47. I used to have a PRS Custom 50 amp. But it was brutally loud with the kids around. I may board off a room in my garage later on. But the wife said since I had to sell the PRS amp I could look at something with a little less wattage. So I was looking at the Mark 5 25 setup.

It's hard to give an opinion seeing as how very few people have gotten their hands on a MV25. On paper the MV25 is an awesome piece of kit. It has more flexibility than the RV25, and comes with a cabclone built in. For a mere $200 more I would swing towards the MV25 over the RV25 barring any issues with the new amp.

krb813 said:
Hi Elvis. I'm not a gigging musician. I just play at home for fun at my old :) age of 47. I used to have a PRS Custom 50 amp. But it was brutally loud with the kids around. I may board off a room in my garage later on. But the wife said since I had to sell the PRS amp I could look at something with a little less wattage. So I was looking at the Mark 5 25 setup.

Ouch! I'm just about the same age as you. :cry:

You can run the 25W Mesas a bit quieter, but in reality they are not a lot less power or volume than a 50W (**** logarithmic hearing sensitivity...)

If you need really quiet, a 5W amp may be more appropriate (granted there are 10W settings on the 25W amps).

The MV 25 may be a really good choice with the cab clone built in. You could run it fairly hot and use headphones or run it into a small stereo, PA or powered speaker at low volume.

Thanks for the info. I think I will go with the MK V 25. Does anyone have any experience purchasing big ticket items (amps) from Sweetwater?

The guys at the factory will mention to you that Sweetwater is one of their biggest/best dealers, now that Guitar Center no longer carries Mesa.

They have a reputation for very good customer service. I have dealt with them a little with good result, but no big ticket items.

I think between their service and Mesa's you are pretty safe.

Sweetwater is fantastic. Good choice with to go with the Mark V:25. I have a lonestar and roadster (purchased through sweetwater). I do gig with them but the reality is that for the venues that I play, there's really no need for all that power. Every big event I've played (outdoor stages, etc) have a PA system and they mic our amps. Most guys bring a 1x12 combo and just mic it and crank the volume. Those venue's also have DI's available so it would be great to just go direct into their mixer and get my amp mixed into the monitor on stage. To me it seems like I would get more use out of this than another 100 Watt monster (even though they are awesome to play).

I do agree with elvis in that higher wattage for clean channels has some advantages in terms of tone, but that's only 1 pro to a few cons in terms of price, weight, portability and volume constraints. I think you'll be happy with your choice. Good luck.

Back